Chapter 5 : Bittersweet Sugar

Mark gasped and sat up in his bed, looking around his bedroom for anyone but only found his dog awake and alert at his feet. The little white dog crawled towards him and into his lap, staring up at him. Mark turned his head then checked the watch on his wrist. 4:36. He sighed, then looked down at the adorable dog in his lap and kissed her nose.

Morning sugar, early bird gets the worm, right?

He moved his legs a bit so Sugar, his dog, would receive the sign to move. After she did so, he let his legs slide off the bed and his feet met the floor. Behind his bed was a wall of glass, while the other two walls were normal and the kitchen was on the opposite side. Mark did get paid well. He stared down at the city that was lit with lights, the sun would be up in an hour, so it would be beautiful to watch it rise. He placed his hand against the glass, it was October so the air was cold. His breathing fogged up the glass, so he let his hand leave and he walked towards his kitchen where Sugar followed him. Mark prepared himself a zucchini bread oatmeal with a bowl of sliced bananas, he added vegetables and toasted walnuts into the bowl. He placed his food onto the counter, then felt a something furry tickle his ankle. Sugar stared up at him, she then pranced over to her bowls and looked back at him.

I’m sorry Sugar baby, I almost forgot, thank you for reminding me. You’re truly a doll.

Mark poured into her food bowl, then stuffing the cup back into the large bag in the cabinet. He took the second bowl and added water, carefully placing it back onto the floor next to the food. After he peacefully ate his food, scrolling through an app on his phone until he received a text.

Name / Park Yun.
Age / 22
Gender / Female
Location / *****
Payment / $30,000

He smiled at his screen. A new request. He replied quickly.

Consider it done.

A few minutes after, he received an email he was given the same amount of money listed.

I’ll be back soon Sugar baby, after I finish I will walk you around the city to celebrate and give you your favorite foods.

Mark finished off the rest of his bananas and washed the bowls, placing them back into the cabinet then slipped on his shoes and cute dinosaur hoodie with the plates of a stegosaurus going down from the top of his head to mid-back. It was to give him an innocent look. He leaned down, planting a kiss on the little dog’s nose and waving goodbye as he closed the door. A dog really is a man’s best friend. She was the only thing alive he loved and took care of other than himself. If he lost her, he wouldn’t know what to think. After he sat in the driver’s seat, he glanced in the backseat where sat his second precious thing to him. His sniper rifle. He drove towards the destination, then to the opposite side of the street where there was a multi-story building. He arrived to the roof after taking the elevator, he removed his sniper hidden inside his hoodie and laid down with his sniper placed in front of him. Mark took out his phone and stared at the woman’s photo, then peering through the scope with every person who exits the apartment building. Soon, he saw her walking down the sidewalk, near the convenience store. He carefully made his aim, but was startled by a screech and looked up from the scope to look down at the road. Mark watched as a white vehicle driving dangerously before crashing into the woman he was meant to kill. She was stuck under the car, screaming for her life. The man who drove exited the vehicle, then noticed her, and Mark never thought he would see this in his entire life. The man dug his teeth into her hand, before moving onto her arm. She screamed so loud, he felt a need to cover his ears. Somehow, he pitied her and moved more to the right with his rifle then looked into the scope. With one shot, he managed to kill her instantly with a shot to the head. It would end her suffering quickly.