Chapter 1 : The Breakout

Taeyong, wake up.

Yuta shook the man awake who was sweating profusely in his sleep, whimpers leaving his lips and words that made no sense. Taeyong woke up with a scream, and Yuta immediately covered his mouth, a finger over his lips. Slowly, he removed his hand, and tried to calm his shaking figure.

Was it a dream?

Yuta sighed, his head turning to the boarded windows with nails stuck into the wall through the wood. Taeyong's eyes followed to where he was staring, and he looked down in disappointment. It wasn’t a dream.

Yong, I understand it’s hard to comprehend, but you have to get used to it soon. It’s been months since the virus spread out all over the globe.

Yes. Taeyong remembered the news channel. The date it occurred was October 23rd, 2021 where a woman was speaking of strange events happening not so far from his apartment building. He remembered what he was eating, a tub of vanilla ice cream laid between his legs and a metal spoon in his mouth, he never watched the news until that day when nothing interesting was on. The video evidence was frightening, he thought since it was October it was a cruel prank teenagers decided to pull, but couldn’t see the flaws in the ‘fake’ organs, the ‘artificial’ blood and the disgusting, incredibly realistic ‘makeup’ printed onto their skin. Taeyong was beginning to actually freak out about it, and shut off the TV. Then he heard his phone buzz, he recognized the familiar sound and it was a red alert. He looked from the TV screen to his phone, taking it into his hand and reading what the alarm was for.

VIOLENT CRIMINALS IN YOUR AREA. REMAIN INDOORS. IF LOCATED NEARBY, DO NOT ENGAGE. DO NOT ENGAGE.

What was going on? Why had do not engage been repeated? He had not know at the time, until he looked out his window. The sun shined in his eyes and it took a few seconds to adjust to the brightness then he looked down at the roads stories down. It was calm, people walked down the sidewalks and cars driving at the regular speed. Then he heard a screech. His eyes frantically searched for the source, then a white car drove widely down the road, cars driving out of the way and people screaming, running away. The white car crashed into a convenience store nearby. A woman was crushed beneath the car, screaming and crying for help. The man driving the car opened their door, blood covered his face, he stepped on her hand and continued to walk slowly but turned around. He saw the woman on the ground, she held her hand out for him to take, he staggered closer and dropped to his knee before.. he bit into her hand. Taeyong shut the curtains quickly. Yet, her scream reverberated in his head like a broken record. Then he heard running footsteps outside of his apartment door, when he walked towards the sound and opened his door. People were leaving their rooms, bags or suitcases in their hands as they desperately tried to scramble out into the hallway like rats leaving a sinking ship. The door across from him was also evacuated, the view of the TV in their living room had on the news.

Taeyong grabbed at a man, pulling him almost inside of his apartment.

What the hell is going on?

It’s– it’s like a horror movie come to life, you don’t understand it, nobody does. People are eating each other. Right outside this apartment building people are eating each other alive and the news is saying a virus, an epidemic has spread and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to stop man. So, I suggest you leave too before they come inside and you got nowhere else to go.

Taeyong really didn’t understand a word the man was saying. A virus? Epidemic? People eating each other? His hand remained clutching his arm, until it was aggressively pulled away and he was snapped back to reality.