「𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡」

"Oh, you're just explaining it in a funny way," I lied and nervously chuckled.

"O... Kay..." he stared back into his book.

"Anyway, I got something for you," he handed me a bag.

"What is this?" I wondered.

"It's just some food, I hope you still like Tteokbokki," he smiled.

"Why are you giving this to me?" I stared at him.

"Well, I saw that you quite didn't eat much in the cafeteria, so I just assumed you were hungry now."

You make it so hard to get over you, Jaeyun.

"Thank you. Do you want to share this with me?" I smiled.

"Oh, no, no. I'm not hungry. Also I don't want to eat your food," he emphasized.

"But I hate eating alone," I muttered, hoping he hadn't heard.

"I know," he spoke in an inaudible tone.

"Fine, if it makes you eat, then I'll join you," he gave up.

As we were eating and preparing our lecture, I noticed that he's not that annoying as it seemed at the beginning.

"This is not the formula," he spoke up.

There he goes again with being annoying.

"Yes, it is. I'm pretty sure," I argued.

"The third law says the squares of the orbital periods of two planets behave like the third powers of the major semi-axes of their orbits," Jaeyun started.

"That means the two squares of the orbital periods of two planets get divided and also equal the quotient of the major semi-axes of their orbits from which you take the third powers," he added.

I made a mistake, he was completely right.

"Ah, I knew that," I rolled my eyes.

"Of course you did," he smirked and leaned back.

"Should we take a break? You seem tired," he suggested.

"Yeah, we can do that," I stretched as I got a message.

I took a look at my phone which was on the table we were studying at... Dad.

I opened his message and it was an invitation to Sooha's birthday party. Sooha, I hate that girl so much. She's my annoying step-sister who's extremely two faced.

As if I'd go to her ugly birthday party. Besides that, I hate birthdays.

"By the way, how is your father? I haven't heard from him in such a long time," Jaeyun spoke up.

I wonder why, idiot.

"He's fine, I guess. He has a new family now," I stated honestly.

Upon hearing my words, he froze for a while.

"So, your parents divorced? I'm sorry to hear that. How's aunt holding up?" he questioned in a sad tone, not knowing when to stop.

Now, it was my turn to freeze. I didn't like to speak about my mother and her fate.

As I stayed quiet for a while and didn't answer him, he finally got the hint.

"I didn't mean to seem nosy, I apologize. I was just wondering, perhaps-"

"She died," I admitted, not being able to hold it in anymore while looking down at my hands.

Oh no, I overshared...

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

This whole silence lasted for what felt like hours. As I finally dared to look up at Jaeyun, I saw his brown eyes softly and guiltily looking at me.

Then he said something I didn't expect. "Let's move on, this break is getting too long."

Ouch.

He didn't even mind cheering me up? Of course, after all, we're not even close anymore.

"Yeah, let's... Move on," I uttered hesitantly.

After that talk, there was this unbearable awkward silence between us. Luckily, we only had to work on our separate work now, so no one needed to speak up.

After I finished my handout, I stared at the clock. 10 pm? Damn, it's getting late. I should go to sleep soon even if it was early for a Friday night.

As if Jaeyun could read my mind, he yawned. "I think it's better if I go back now, it's very late."

I just nodded at him due to the awkward tension which was still present.

It took a while for him to stand up. As I thought he was walking to the direction of the door, he approached one of my drawers.

I stood up to follow him. "What are you doing?" I asked confusingly.

He didn't respond. Instead, he just handed me a paper package. Right, my medication, I almost forgot it...

"Take it," he demanded, staring into my eyes.

Without further hesitation, I opened the package to take the pill as he gave me a glass of water.

"Thank you," I said after I gulped it down.

"Of course. Anyway, I'll get going now," he stared down, suddenly shy.

"Good night, Jaey- Jake," I almost misspelled.

He just sighed and stared at the ground. "Good night," he spoke quietly as he exited through the door.

Why is he so weird? One second, he's kind of sweet and caring towards me and the next, he's completely quiet and acts like nothing happened before.

However, I shouldn't let myself get near him after this again. Only God knows his true intentions and I don't even want to find out.

He's not the same Jaeyun he was years ago, I need to let it go. Even if my heart still aches for him, I don't want it to get more hurt by letting him in again.

After all, he could leave again and just open that scar he left.

As I lay down on my bed, I suddenly remembered Dad's message. I really don't want to go, like literally not at all but...

I miss my dad.

Maybe, just maybe he missed me as much as I did, even after starting a new family and leaving me behind.

So I decided to text him that I'll come. Luckily, the anniversary was in a week when I was on my two-week-break.

I'm sure I'll regret it later on but tonight the mind of that little girl who just misses her father and still grieves for her mother took over.

-

The weekend passed by quite fast. I was preparing the lecture we had to lead for today. For that, we had to arrive half an hour earlier but even after the class started, Jaeyun was nowhere to be seen.

He was gone. All over again.

-

author's note: I'm obsessed with 3rd Eye by Skz but it's also so scary too😭