Chapter Twenty-Eight- Jerry's Questions

"Miranda?" Jerry asked while trying to read an old English text. Miranda was looking through her mother's and Summer's journals. "How's Austin? And don't lie."

"He'll be in pain."

"Pain?"

"The transformation is always painful," Miranda told him Summer's journal in her lap. "No one really talked about it, since they don't want to remember the pain. The few conversations where the pain of transformation did pop up, it was always the same."

"So how was yours?"

"Mine?"

"I want to know what my brother is going through," Jerry told her. A small smile on his face and his messy blonde hair covering his left eye. "He's doing this so both us aren't left alone."

"What do want to know?"

"Can you tell me how it happened?"

"So you want to know when it happened?" Miranda asked looking up from her book. "Jerry, not even Austin knows what happened, but I guess it'll be better for someone to know. He only knows that a British offer shot me, however, that's not the whole truth."

"What happened?"

"1775, the start of the war in New England after the shot in Lexton. You mortals call it the 'shot heard around the world'."

"Why?"

"Some people believe the American Revolution is the reason the French Revolution started," Miranda told him while rolling her eyes. "Other's believe that the event is the reason the world is the way it is."

"And you don't?" Jerry asked.

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"I'm a female and was on the Native American's side," Miranda told him sighing as she moved her hair behind her ear. "I wasn't liked, in fact my family had to hide. Soon we were forgotten and we were allowed to come out."

"Before that?"

"I'm getting to that."

"You're killing me here!"

"Boston had been at odds with Britain since I was seven. No one took the Stamp Act kindly, you see the North got profit from their merchants, unlike the South who got theirs from trading raw goods," Miranda told him putting her hair in a low pony tail with the pale blue hair tie from her wrist. "So there was a bit of smuggling... actually there was a lot of smuggling."

"I see."

"Don't you learn this in school?"