C. 21

Hi everyone!

After yesterday's fight with Maya and the sleepless night spent crying in Amelia's arms, I really wouldn't have believed that the first to give in and take a step towards me was Maya. So, I've been incredulous since this morning, when around half past eight she sent me a text to ask if I was already awake and if she could come home to bring me breakfast. I appreciated even more that she said nothing regarding the presence of Amelia, stopping from making jokes, and that she rather brought a croissant and cappuccino for her too. All my resentment and nervousness that had already faded with the tears of the night, disappeared definitively when I found myself in front of Maya with her upset face, the dark circles and the red eyes of those who spent an equally hellish night. Since then, there is also a small doubt inside me that puzzles me about where she has been and above all together with whom.

Amelia helped me a lot to rationalize our discussion and to make me see Maya's point of view in a new light. Amelia is a person with a very particular character, but deep down she is a very special person. She enjoys provoking Maya, because she gets an intelligent answer and both have the limit of not knowing how to stop when it is the case. Analyzing this defect of both was Amelia to point out to me that perhaps sometimes I could have been the one to take a more decisive position, even in a playful way, which does not mean choosing between one or the other. The night then also served us to make great talk about why Amelia asked for hospitality, about the quarrel with her partner and what seems to be the imminent end of another important relationship for her. We ended up falling asleep together in my bed and when she heard that Maya would return she wanted to disappear in a heartbeat, but I instead convinced her to stay with us again this morning, as was agreed, and then go directly to the hospital for her shift after lunch.

After a silent breakfast and watching a movie that made the climate a little quieter, but still quite tense among all of us, Maya started working on the PC in the kitchen, while Amelia and I are in the room I use as a laundry room and she is helping me to fold the clothes hanging, before laying out the new washing machine that has just finished. In the middle of the clothes to be collected, however, she finds a pair of boxers and from there begins her interrogation.

A < Car, are you crazy??!> she almost cries, making me scare.

C < what?> I ask, without understanding and she makes fly the boxer in front of me. A small smile escapes me, which she immediately notices.

A < what the hell are you laughing at? What if Maya finds out?>

C < what are you talking about?>

A < a man has been to your house?!> she says obviously. I sigh.

C < Amy, no man has been to my house..> but she does not give up.

A < so it is that why she is so nervous and thinks I am your lover? Because she is right, but she is only mistaking the wrong person?>

C < no, absolutely not!> I hasten to deny.

A < and then how do you explain it?> she insists, stripping the underwear before my eyes, which obviously belong to Maya, but she does not know. None of my friends, apart from Antonio, still know about Maya's condition.

C < do I owe explanations to you?> I ask by raising an eyebrow.

A < yes, because I'm your friend. And yes, because your girlfriend would like to jump me to the jug every time she sees me and now I would like a reason not to tell her that she is right to doubt you!> I laugh.