35 | that ain't like you

warnings: body shaming & insecurities, the fluff makes up for it. thank you so much for reading, love you all xx

November 5, 2015

So I'll be the loser in this game
I'll be the bad guy in the play
I'll be the water main that's burst and flooding
You'll be by the window, only watching

⋆ ˚ °  ° ˚⋆

I dried my wet hair with a towel and pressed my fingertips over the black circles underneath my eyes. I looked exhausted, but I felt pretty good. More than pretty good. I felt hopeful and more determined than I had been in years. The lack of sleep wasn't an issue.

It was only when a familiar baritone voice spoke that I was broken out of thought, making me turn around. Instantly, my mood lit up.

"Morning."

Watching Alex's hair sticking up in four different places, I tried hard to conceal my smile. He said he wouldn't cut it until the filming of Miracle Aligner, planned the next day. I loved touching it all the time, it was an obsession.

I offered him a smile. "Morning."

He put his hand behind my lower back to place a kiss on my lips, and a quicker one on my cheek. Stepping closer to the sink, he accepted when I offered him the toothpaste and prepared my own brush.

"Can you believe it?" I glanced up to look at him through the mirror, my voice still low. "I woke up before you."

"Almost cried when I realised I wouldn't wake you up meself," he muttered.

I chuckled, moving the toothbrush to rest inside my cheek. Usually, we both remained silent in the morning. I broke the rule that day.

"I need to get in early today. We'll know who's been chosen to open the ceremony of the exhibition."

"Think it can be you?"

I wanted to be given the opportunity before I'd have to say goodbye to the museum in three months, no matter how scared I would be. This exhibition was a big deal, and I knew I'd get my part in it anyway. That's why I was planning on going thirty minutes earlier than usual, and maybe even get vanilla coffees for some colleagues on the way. Bootlicker maybe, but I deserved one of the high positions.

"Yeah. That'd be nice," I said. "They've been talking about it ever since I started working there. I could get promoted too, which could be useful in LA."

He nodded, smiling with his minty mouthful before he managed to mumble, "I'll cross my fingers for you, baby."

"Time moves so fast."

Luke's breath hit my neck suddenly, causing me to jump and hit my side against the wall of the hallway. Ouch.

He didn't back off when he added, "You looked skinny just a week ago, and look at you today. Ten more pounds, at least."

Take that, ego.

That didn't stop me from striding to the medieval room, my notebook in one hand while the other rubbed my shoulder.

I hadn't even heard him coming. And as much as I kept on ignoring him, I couldn't help but feel a pang in my chest. I should have trusted my instinct and stayed in bed that morning.

"Though I wouldn't mind that fat ass bouncing—"

"Shut the fuck up, Luke."

The words came out of my mouth before I could even think about the visitors around us. Some gave us a weird look, while others were silently wandering around with headsets on.