3 | two souls

March 10-11th, 2015

Somebody's girlfriend's talking to me, but it's alright
She's saying that he's not gonna slap me or try to attack me
He's not the jealous type

⋆ ˚ ° ° ˚⋆

"Well, your friend spilt his drink over me. I should survive," I said sarcastically.

"Did he? He's a twat," Alex shook his head like he was complaining about his son, earning a chuckle from me.

Did he not see what happened?

"It's fine."

"I'm... really surprised to see you here," he blurted out after a few seconds of silence. "Simon works with us y'know. When he announced his wedding date in the studio Paul told us that you both wouldn't be coming today. He looked really determined not to go and you both looked a bit... off in the train... I didn't want to ask about it or create problems," he stuttered, his face painted with orange rays from the poor lighting.

"Did he? I knew he was reluctant to come, he doesn't like Simon and Hannah that much," I replied quietly. "But I was surprised too. I should have told you when we ate together, just thought it wasn't important," I added.

"Surprised is an understatement. I couldn't believe it was really you."

I shyly smiled, breaking our gaze.

"Do you paint?" he asked, moving towards me.

"I wish I could. I tried to but I guess I'm too impatient for being artistic."

"You seemed really interested in this one," he grinned.

"I find it interesting."

"How so?"

He took another step forward and squinted his eyes to look at it better.

"I dunno... the freedom she seems to be living I suppose. The colours are calming."

He turned his head to look at me, and it was my turn to look at the real work of art on the wall.

"I know what you mean. Though my favourite would be this one," he pointed to a smaller frame on my left.

I questioned him 'why?' back.

"It's the first thing I saw when I entered the room–after you. It reminds me of a path that led to the woods behind my school back in Sheffield, where I grew up. I used to go there a lot, it relaxed me. It's not the most beautiful one in this room but..." he trailed off, shrugging.

"I see what you mean. In the end, it's more about the emotion you feel and not really about the technique."

I gazed back at him, afraid I'd sound ridiculous. He simply smiled.

His strong scent almost made me forget that we weren't supposed to be there. Yet, it was as if the world was happening somewhere far away, and we were just two souls enjoying a break from reality. It felt too good to be true.

"I... I should go back now. Otherwise, someone will come to find me."

"I'll walk with you if you don't mind," he offered.

"Sure."

Silence fell between us as we walked back through the dark corridors. The place was empty, the only noises being our slow steps. The calm and mysterious atmosphere this place exuded was like a dream.

I stopped before the large doors that separated us from the party. The music was now louder and muffled by the laughing sounds and glass clinking. I put my hand on the knob, but he stepped forward abruptly.