7 | not so alone

March 13, 2015

But all the little promises, they don't mean much
When there's memories to be made

⋆ ˚ ° ° ˚⋆

My body ached for more sleep, but the shower and face masks seemed to wake me up.

My phone was balanced on the small sink, playing my seventies playlist while I applied some mascara and hummed to the tone. My hair was drying slowly behind my back, my body being a pale red from the suffocating warmth of the room.

I thought about Alex who was still sleeping, probably sprawled on the bed like the day before. I didn't expect him to be up until another hour. Maybe I would have time to buy real food in the meantime. We acted and ate like teenagers.

I stood on my toes and approached my face from the mirror, applying some more lotion on my forehead. I swear I was addicted to these products.

Without a warning, the door opened and let in a drowsy Alex, with messy hair and a crumpled t-shirt.

"What the hell Alex!"

The panicked cry let my mouth before he realised what was happening.

I tried to hide my body behind a towel, grateful that I had put on my underwear a few minutes earlier. I was horrified at the idea of being almost naked underneath, although it was sure he saw my whole body. I stayed feet away from him with my heart racing.

His eyes widened and he briskly turned around, realising where he was and repeating he was sorry.

"I swear I didn't see anything," he added, clearing his throat in embarrassment.

"It's fine, you can look."

He turned around again, facing me as the panic turned into relief and I bit my lip to prevent myself from laughing. I pulled the towel tighter around my body, trying to protect what little dignity I had left.

"You're not upset?" he drew his brows together in confusion. "I didn't know you were here, if I knew I swear I'd have knocked."

"Don't be all dramatic," I scoffed. "Am I the first feminine body you see?"

He scoffed too and took off his black shirt, folding it messily before throwing it on the white countertop next to my clothes.

I swallowed hard and furrowed my brows, focusing my gaze on my hands. It was always the same with him; one of us was in a weak position and the other took advantage of it and had a raise of confidence before the roles exchanged again. It seemed like he never liked to be in that weak position.

"What are you doing?" I asked, his sudden act catching me off guard.

"Taking a shower. It's already ten and you promised we would go back to the coffee we went to yesterday," he replied nonchalantly, brushing his hair back with his hand.

He started taking off his sweatpants and I faced the door, embarrassed. I gripped at my towel more tightly, sighing loudly.

"I appreciate that you care about our plans but I was getting dressed. You could wait five more minutes."

"We're in a rush love. Get dressed here, you know it's nothing I haven't seen before."

I could hear the mocking smirk in his voice.

"You wish," I sneered, grabbing my clothes while being careful not to see his naked body behind the glass. The water was running, hiding his quiet whistling.

Taking my phone on the sink was a risk I wasn't willing to take, so I left the room without it and prayed that he wouldn't peek at it.

Back in my bedroom, I put on my black jeans and a hazel silk shirt, still flustered by this little exchange. He clearly knew what he was doing, and I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to respond.