34 | slow dancing

warning: sexual content

November 2, 2015

Anticipation keeps you on the edge of your seat
But you're just too distracted to look up the people you meet
What was it I said that was so wrong?

⋆ ˚ ° ° ˚⋆

Over the years, I'd experienced my fair share of embarrassing moments. I'd endured much more than this silence prolonging ever since I'd brought the dish on the table. I'd walked into important meetings thinking the room was free numerous times, and I was used to spilling coffee on the documents my boss gave me. This was just the way things were.

That's why I decided not to let this little top cringe moment ruin the dinner. Yes, Sophie was here. But I would simply go with the flow. No harm, no foul. After all, I had a good supporter sitting next to me.

It could have been worse. How? I couldn't say.

Alex kept sending me glances to see how I was reacting to each of my mum's questions, the only one not acknowledging the awkward tension in the air. She'd complimented the living room at least three times since they got here, impressed by the high ceiling and large space. My dad was more silent but equally under the spell.

I tried to avoid my sister's gaze, while Alex drew small and discreet circles on my thigh under the table.

"How long have you owned the house in LA?"

Lowering his fork, Alex's eyes drifted from my dad to her again. Apart from the anxious stroking of his upper arm, he seemed alright with the situation. We both came to each other's rescue when we needed it anyway.

"Two years, I'd say. I haven't truly settled there, though," he said.

"Beware, spend two months there with Marianne and you won't recognise the house," my dad chimed in, his light smile pointed at me.

I smiled back at him, also grateful that they hadn't taken a family album photo with them.

"She used to bring back books, but I suppose she took a liking to save plants these past few days," Alex replied, lips curved.

I chuckled, my hand over his. "I can't let them die in the cold. It's beyond me."

"She's messy," Sophie spoke, her eyes scanning my face. "But she was the one I'd called to help me decorate two years ago. She has great taste."

Thanks, I guess.

Eyes trained on me, Alex sent her a small but sincere smile. "She does."

In a desperate attempt to return to my comfort zone, I raised my gaze and met hers. She was wearing a light blue dress, her hair neatly pinned at the back of her head. It looked red now. She had a look in her eyes that begged me to break the silence treatment, but I was too proud. I didn't want to be treated like an idiot anymore. That was over. That was old Marianne.

Clearing my throat, I stood and grabbed the empty bottle before me. Fuck the fake confidence, that was beyond me. "I'll go get another one."

"I'll help you choose," my mom decided to come along, trailing behind me as I bit down on my lip. I really needed to stop doing that.

I stood on the side while she took the two bottles they'd brought between her hands, inspecting the labels thoroughly. The way she ignored things on purpose started to upset me.

"This one tastes better," I heard her mutter, before looking up at me. "You look lovely tonight."

"Thanks."