22 | the other woman

August 27–29, 2015

Once I thought that I was over you
Now you're back and I'm falling like a fool

⋆ ˚ °° ˚⋆

"I'll never regret this," he told me.

His words lingered in my mind, a painful reminder of the reality between us now.

Saying I didn't regret what happened what a lie. Maybe not totally, but I still felt guilty as soon as I shot my eyes open and found him sleeping on his back, his head tilted towards me. He was shirtless but he had his boxers on, a sign that he had woken up a second time during the night.

But there was still Alma, and as much as I disliked her, I couldn't be the one to ruin a couple. Who knows, maybe there were happy together.

I glanced over the alarm clock on the bedside table, blinking to adjust to the morning light. I sighed as I read the numbers. I needed to get up now or I'd be late for work.

Standing on wobbling legs, I crept up to the dressing and picked an outfit for the day. I glanced behind me a few times to check that Alex wasn't awake and made my way to the bathroom.

I'd never dressed up so quickly in my life, frightened at the idea that he could enter at any time and would make things awkward, more than they already were.

I went to grab my purse and get out without him noticing, but he was leaning against the fridge, shirtless, drinking water. I stood still, swallowing nervously. What now?

"Were you leaving without saying goodbye?" he asked with a devious smirk on his lips, surveying me wearily.

Yes.

"No, I just... I was coming here," I lied, flashing him a small smile as I forced myself to move.

He hummed in response, sipping at his water as he watched me move around.

I prepared myself some coffee, cursing internally when my hands started shaking.

I turned my head to look at him. "Do you want some?"

"I'm good."

I nodded and drank the warm liquid, pretending everything was fine. I dreaded the conversation that was hanging in the air, but one of us had to start. I guessed it was part of the game we were both addicted to.

"Last night never happened," I said in a low voice, smoothing down any potential wrinkle on my dress.

I expected some rejection, something that would tell me he wanted to fight for us.

But us never existed.

"Okay."

I nodded weakly and placed the mug in the sink, ready to go and forget about the last two days of my life. He grabbed my arm before I could do so, forcing me to look at him. Really look at him.

His face was stoic but the bags under his eyes only proved he was exhausted.

And his eyes. I stared at them, waiting for the chocolate colour to reveal something. He looked more concerned than I thought. Maybe the awkwardness between us made him realise the mistake we just made.

"Don't let this change anything between us, all right?" he asked hesitantly, his eyes drifting between mine. "I still want to see you. No matter what."

I nodded slowly, unsure of what to say. "Okay."

He nodded too and repeated "okay" as he dropped his hand on his side.

So that was it.

I shifted on my feet, feeling his eyes on me. "I need to go now, you can put the keys under the rug when you're leaving."