32 | into my little world

October 31, 2015

The changes that I've been through
Have left a mark on me
You've been as constant as a Northern Star
The brightest light that shines

⋆ ˚ ° ° ˚⋆

"This one? Total wanker."

I squinted my eyes to try and see the man Alex was referring to. The dancefloor was crowded, not letting any room to breathe. Plus, the bright lights blinded me and made the whole place look darker, so it was hard to discern faces.

When I found him, I turned my head again to shout in his ear, "The bloody doctor?"

"Yeah."

I brought my third cocktail to my lips. "He does look like a twat."

"You bet," Alex yelled back over the blasting music that vibrated my feet. "He jumps on every moving thing. Wouldn't be surprised if he came to chat you up in front of me."

He must have felt our insistent gaze, because the fake doctor turned around and instantly smiled at me. I shot him back a closed smile, turning on my heels and facing the wall to avoid his gaze.

"Oh, great. We're blood buddies now."

Alex snorted, his eyes flicking back to the guy to make sure he wouldn't come. Luckily he didn't.

We watched people dancing and kissing from a corner, taking regular sips of our drinks. Every few seconds, Alex would point to someone not so discreetly and comment on them or their costume. I kept laughing as if he'd made the funniest joke ever, hiding my face in his neck when some gave us puzzled glances. He was laughing in my ear, his eyes glowing each time I looked up at him.

Dizziness spread into my veins as I started moving my hips to the beat ever so slightly. I wasn't in the mood to go dance alone, not yet.

"You're not going with Miles?" I asked while his friend was busy talking with some other guys across the room.

Lauren was nowhere to be found. The Devil either, but that was a good thing.

"Nah. I ran out of social battery for today."

I smiled back at him, not so surprised that I felt the same. I'd met a couple of girls earlier in pirates and princesses costumes, and although they'd been really kind—and awfully drunk—I'd run back to Alex on the first occasion. He had introduced me to a few people, his eyes sparkling with joy when he said my name. We even took a few pictures with them, my face crimson after trying to convince them I was fine. They didn't really give me a choice, and Alex either.

The photographers at the door hadn't asked for our consent either, as they'd shot a hundred photographs of us walking past them. I'd kept my arm around Alex's, praying that my ankle wouldn't buckle. I made it alive, and it included drinking to try and calm down my thumping heart.

I only started to relax when I was almost sure that no other pictures would be taken, and especially when I assumed Luke wasn't going to show up.

It was strange though. He wouldn't have lied about coming here, not when he was so oddly into me. Perhaps he was here right now, wearing a mask. Was he Darth Vader, the guy leaning against a wall?

"This makeup is shit," Alex interrupted my thoughts, his warm palm tilting my cheek upwards. "The blood turned pink."

"It's booze. You're just seeing things."

He let out a little chuckle, shifting to set his glass down and bringing me closer to his warmth. "I can see just right."

I backed off a little when his thumb stroked my cheek to spread the painting. "You'll stain your suit."