6 | improvised scottish holidays

[the mentioned song is all I wanna do by the beach boys, as it helped me writing I can only recommend listening to it!]

March 12, 2015

Why won't you come over here?
We've got a city to love

⋆ ˚ ° ° ˚⋆

"This coffee is a work of art, I'm telling you. We'll come back here tomorrow."

Alex lifted the cup to his nose and blew on it, the warmth spreading in the air in a small cloud.

I kept my hands warm against my cup of tea, enjoying the tranquillity of this coffee shop and the warmth its leather couches offered.

The night before, after agreeing that the movie was boring and we were too tired to follow the story, we played some board games. Each of us played our favourite songs in the background on my parents' old audio speakers, eating our delivered pizzas until we were too exhausted to find words during a scrabble game. Alex had a great way with words though, and I wasn't surprised when he admitted he had read the dictionary several times.

This morning, I'd been up at eight. Still alone when the clock indicated ten, I had opened his door hesitantly and whispered his name. His shirtless body was sprawled on the bed.

For the first day of our "improvised Scottish holidays" as he called them, we had decided to have breakfast at the coffee down the street.

"You're sure you don't want anything?" he asked again.

"I'm fine," I assured him for the second time with a smile.

He took my wrist in his right hand and placed his muffin in my palm with the other, cocking a brow at me.

"You need to eat love. I can't see you falling in my arms while we visit."

"Don't worry I wouldn't," I grimaced, teasing him.

"Shame," he muttered, taking another sip.

We finished eating and decided to spend the rest of the day wandering through the streets like the two tourists we were. With our hands in our pockets and our reddened noses, we spent the day chatting about the most random things, entering shops and trying hats on displays or buying more records than we really needed. We visited an exhibition but didn't really pay attention anymore as soon as I mentioned my work.

I told him about my love for history and art, my long and almost depressing studies until I had found a job in a museum in Liverpool. I also learned more about Miles and how they both met, but he never went deeper into his details. I was vague in my stories too, always afraid to bore him. If he ever was, he never showed it and always commented or laughed along. We stopped a few times when people asked for a picture with him. He seemed embarrassed at first and kept looking at me as if I'd be upset, but I just found it funny. It felt weird at the same time, but as he never talked about his fame it felt almost natural. I was the happiest I had ever been in years.

❋❋❋

The sun went down early in the park, while we were still eating our waffles on a bench. Adding to the poor city lights, the dark clouds threatened to explode over our heads. People were passing us by quickly like they knew the rain would fall eventually. 

"Still no call from your lover?" he asked, taking a bite of his own.

"No," I mimicked a sad face. "I'm afraid he got scared of you when I told him you were my brother."

I checked my phone for the first time today and was relieved to see that the creepy guy from the train hadn't called back yet.

"You said that?" he questioned, his smile spreading.