16 | dracula teeth

AN : hey! I thought I could pop in and comment about Luke, who's briefly mentioned in this chapter. He had been mentioned once in the third chapter, so I know it's a bit complicated to remember it all but he'll appear again later on (no spoiler). It's a filler chapter but I promise the next one is more interesting! What else could I say? Enjoy? And thank you for reading

June 5th, 2015

And if you say to me tomorrow
Oh what fun it all would be
Then what's to stop us, pretty baby

⋆ ˚ ° ° ˚⋆

In three days, I'd managed to decorate all the rooms, and mostly the kitchen. There were still boxes in every corner, but the calm pastels on the walls and the familiar furniture looked like home. I glanced at the pictures on the walls every time the space felt a bit too lonely, reminding myself it was a fresh start I needed.

I'd also managed to postpone the day I'd start working, meaning I was officially free for the American trip. The museum had also reminded me of Ben and how I'd left him alone that night in the club. I'd sent him a quick text, telling him I was sorry if he came to see me after I resigned – and sorry for not telling him. With everything I had in mind, I'd completely forgotten about him. I liked him and the way he looked at me, but it simply slipped my mind. He'd replied it was fine, but I could still feel the cold undertone of his words.

The window was opened to air out the space, that still reeked of acrylic paint. A light rain was falling over the street, the thick clouds already darkening the sky. It was the perfect setting for eating ice cream on my couch, a movie playing in the background. I was texting my mom at the same time, updating her about my days and the restoration I'd have to do eventually. I decided to skip the part of the story about Paul, knowing she'd ask too many questions. I'd tell her later.

I set down my spoon when the screen filled with a picture of me and Kat, smiling at myself as I accepted the unexpected call.

"Hi," I drawled.

"We're calling you on Facetime!" Emma exclaimed before any greeting, always so enthusiastic.

Their faces appeared on my screen after what had felt like years. I placed my phone down on the coffee table and took back my cheap dinner, grinning at them. They were settled on their bed, the phone held in the air in Kat's hands.

"How are you?" I asked, taking a spoonful of the iced chocolate.

"Good, good. How about you? How is it?" Kat asked.

"Let me show you, I forgot to send you pictures."

I stood up and picked up my phone, walking through every room to show them the results. I turned the camera around, smiling sheepishly at each compliment.

"It looks so nice," Emma commented, her eyes focused on the screen.

"It does," I beamed, flicking the bedroom's lights off. "I still need to clean up a few things though."

"Alex could help you," Emma replied, shrugging as if it was obvious.

"Here we go," I muttered, making my way back to the couch.

"How is he?" she asked, ignoring the look I gave her. The 'I don't want to talk about that' look.

"Good, I guess. I saw him three days ago."

"Cute. Maybe we'll see him on Saturday."

I froze and dropped my spoon, cursing at the stain on the cushion.