SIXTY THREE

LXIII

OBLIVION      . . .      𝑏𝘰𝘰𝑘 1
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
Rafe Cameron ━━━ CALLISTA MAYBANK
She was his drug and without her he felt like he was going insane.

ACT TWO

━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

It was silent until Ward came to Barry's trailer, claiming that they needed to talk. Cal couldn't explain the anger burning within her. She hated Ward.

Ward tried to convince Cal to leave him and Rafe alone, but Rafe told his father that he wanted her by his side until the last minute. Despite Ward's obvious anger, he nodded.

"What happened here?" Ward questioned his son, lightly touching the bruise on his jaw. Cal had asked him that question too, but he just told her not to worry about it. "Rafe, I need you to listen to me, if you've ever listened to me before, okay? Rafe?"

"Yeah." Rafe hummed, linking his hand with Cal's.

His mind was racing with negative thoughts. He knew that this would be the end of the line for him and Cal. There was no coming back from this. He knew that he ruined them.

"Rafe, look, I want you to take this." Ward then handed his son a wad of cash, making Cal scoff. "Go to Wilmington, tonight."

"We need a boat to get to Wilmington. We don't have a boat." Rafe shook his head, looking towards Cal.

Cal couldn't believe Ward. He was trying to use money to solve his problems. But money couldn't solve this.

"You can find a boat. You can figure it out. And you gotta stay hidden too. So, just get to Wilmington, alright?" Ward handed Rafe a cap, letting go of a long defeated sigh. "I want you to go to my old office. Remember? Market street? Right out back, there's a car."

Cal didn't miss the way that Rafe kept looking at her, making sure that she understood what he dad was saying. After all, he wouldn't leave OBX without her.

"Want you to drive it straight to Raleigh. I want you to go to Mcaclintock Aviation."

"Got it." Rafe nodded, running his thumb over Cal's knuckles soothingly.

"I'll charter you a plane, you're gonna get out of here." Ward glanced between his son and Cal.

The girl rested her head on Rafe's shoulder, tears brimming her eyes. Rafe didn't know it yet, but this would be goodbye. For a while at least.

"Charter us where?" Rafe asked softly.

"I don't know, son. I mean, it's gonna be somewhere safe. I'll figure that out." Ward paused, knowing now he would have to disappoint his son. "And when you're safe, I'll fly Cal out too you."

"What? No-" Rafe went to object, throwing his hands up in the air angrily.

"Rafe." Cal spoke soothingly, placing her hand on his bicep and softening her eyes as she looked at the boy she loved. "He's right. It's too risky if we go together."

Cal hated admitting that Ward was right because she knew that it would only inflate his already enormous ego. But she needed Rafe to know that his dad wasn't just trying to keep them apart.

"Dad?"

"What?"

"I'm sorry." Rafe paused as he tried to think of something else to say. He remembered how Cal liked to be apologised to and he tried to apply that same logic and emotion to his father, but it was much harder.

"You don't have to be sorry, son."

"No, no, no. You were right about a lot of things." Rafe insisted. "A lot of things. I was gonna be better, you know? I was- I was planning on getting clean."

Cal heart panged. She knew that Rafe felt like a disappointment to his dad, but he was anything but that. She began to trace small patterns on the boys bicep, trying to sooth him.

"I know." Ward nodded.

"No. But I- But I know you don't believe me." Rafe shook his head. Ward wasn't listening to him, not properly anyway.

"I do. Hey, hey, look at me. I believe you." Ward said as he cupped the back of Rafe's head with his hand to force Rafe to look at him. "You're gonna have all the time in the world to show me too, alright? Cause you're not going to jail for something you did for me."

Cal and Rafe both stiffened. Sure, Rafe killed Peterkin because she was going to kill his dad. But the anger behind the kill shot, that wasn't for his dad at all. That was for Cal. And he couldn't help but wonder if his dad knew that, would he still try to help.

"You be safe. Callie, the car will wait outside for five minutes." Ward slowly stood up, going to leave before he hesitated. "You know how you're always asking me who I'd choose, if Id choose you or if I'd choose Sarah."

"No, that's not important anymore, okay?" Rafe slowly stood up to be eye to eye with his dad again, whilst Cal remained sat down. "I don't care."

"I choose you." Ward admitted, although Cal didn't trust him one bit. "I just want you to know. I choose you, son." With that, the man walked out, leaving Cal and Rafe alone in the trailer.

Cal didn't hesitate on letting go of a small sob, making Rafe rush over to her. He knelt between her legs, his hands cupping her cheeks.

"Shhh, sweetheart. It's okay. We're gonna be okay. Just a few weeks until we will see each other again." He whispered, trying to sooth the girl. "I love you so much."

Rafe slowly removed his signet ring from his pinky finger. He then grabbed Cal's hand and slowly slid it onto her thumb. Cal rested their foreheads against one another.

"I love you too." She whispered back, pressing their lips together momentarily, before a car horn was heard. "Times up."

Rafe nodded, slowly standing up and placing his hand out for the girl, leading her outside of the trailer. His eyes narrowed in on his dad who had just jumped into the back of the truck.

Cal wrapped her arms around the boys shoulders and held him tightly, not knowing when she was going to be able to do it again.

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newmann
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ vxidbucky & leeandhan