Even Newer Normal

That night, California had trouble falling asleep. She felt like a baby crying over her big brother leaving home, but she didn't know when she'd see him in person again. She knew he wasn't gone from her life, and that he was annoying sometimes anyway, but she knew that he had more things in life to think about now than taking care of his little sister. She didn't realize how much she'd miss that until she felt she lost it.

California walked over to Texas's room, which was bare and quiet. The only things left behind was old furniture.... And a little stuffed bear.

California put Osito in Texas's room when he left, because she didn't want the bear to constantly make her sad about Texas leaving. However, she wanted some sort of comfort, and Texas gave her Osito for that very reason.

California was creeping back to her room, hugging her stuffed bear close to her chest, when she suddenly heard crying. She turned and looked in the corner between Texas's old room and the art room to see Nevada hugging her knees to her chest, sobbing softly. California rushed over to her little sister.

"Nevada? What's wrong?" California asked gently.

"NOTHING! GO AWAY!" Nevada cried. California shushed her gently, hugging her, hoping her loud sobbing wasn't waking up her brothers and making them scared. California lead Nevada to her room, and held her as she cried.

"Nevada-,"

"SHUT UP,"

"....Um.... Do you want some candy?" California asked, looking over at the small glass bowl of lollipops on her desk.

"...Can I have the gummy bears?" Nevada asked, pointing at the jar of gummy bears on California's desk. California winced, knowing the only reason Hollywood gave those to her was because they acted as laxatives.

"The lollipops taste way better... there's a watermelon flavor too," California said, giving Nevada a watermelon lollipop. Nevada took it and licked it silently. "So... how's it goin?" California asked, hoping that being casual would help her sister open up a bit.

"I had a bad dream... but I didn't wanna wake up my brothers because they're stupid... and I came downstairs to be with dad and papá b-but... it's really dark at night and scary...," Nevada said. California nodded.

"Totally, being in the dark sucks when you're already kinda scared... I hate being backstage because of it," California said. Nevada didn't say anything, because she hardly knew anything about Californias stage life. California didn't want to entice her anyway. "Do you need me to walk you back to your room?" California asked.

"B-but... what if I.... What I get scared?" Nevada asked. California looked over at the stuffed bear sitting on the edge of her bed, and sighed. "Here... this is Osito. He might not look like much, but he is the bravest, fiercest bear alive. He'll protect you, and wants you to keep him close so he always knows you're safe. And remember, anything scary in your dreams has no power here... and even if they did, you and Osito could totally take them down, I know it," California said, handing Nevada the stuffed bear. Nevada smiled, hugging Osito close. California walked Nevada back to her room, and tucked her and osito into bed.

"Good night, Osita," Nevada said sleepily. California smiled.

"Good night, pajarita,"

Meanwhile, Texas finally got to his college dorm room after a while of being lost. He knocked on the door before unlocking and opening it, just to let his roommates know he was there. It was a fancy four bedroom dorm room, with a common area, kitchenette, and bathroom. He felt lucky to be able to afford this space, although internally laughed knowing that his bedroom was only big enough to house a bed to sleep on and desk to work at. When he walked into the dorm, he saw his two roommates playing video games. They looked over at him and smiled.

"There's our third mate! Come on in!" One roommate exclaimed. Texas smiled and pulled his stuff into his room, before going to join his roommates in the common area.

"I didn't realize this place allowed guys and gals to share a dorm!" Texas exclaimed.

"Hah, all the room was taken up in the girls quarters, which is three times smaller than the guys quarters...,"

"Lemme guess, because 'WoMeN dOnT wAnT tO bE cOpS!!'," Texas joked. His roommates laughed.

"Yep, so they put me here. I'm a lesbian anyway, so don't get excited," The woman said.

"Well, I wouldn't anyway, my boyfriend would be mad," Texas said. Texas and his lesbian roommate gave the silent smile gay people do when they find their people.

"Well, I'm Lynn," His roommate said.

"And I'm Sunny," the other roommate said.

"Nice to meet you two, I'm Texas," Texas said.

"Oh! You're Americas kid, right?" Sunny asked.

"Mhm," Texas said.

"I'm Floridas kid, he's one of your dad's states," Sunny said.

"And I'm Minnesota's! Me and Sunny knew each other before this, but I guess we lived close by anyway... you never really came to visit, huh? I've met your dad though," Lynn said.

"Well, my dad didn't usually bring me when he was meeting the states because I'm named after their dead friend," Texas said.

"Yeah, I guess that makes things awkward... my dad doesn't like talking about you or Texas, I'm guessing they were close before he died," Sunny said. Texas sighed and nodded.

"Well, I'm glad to meet y'all anyway! I hope we have a good time here... maybe we can hang out after school so we ain't complete strangers! Of course, y'all grew up here, so you might have to show me around town," Texas said.

"Of course! There's a great Cubano restaurant nearby we can stop at sometime," Sunny said. Texas smiled and nodded.

"Sounds perfect,"