Part 93 - 6 months later

Rory was woken up by her alarm.
She put her hands by her hips and used almost all of her energy to push herself up in bed. How had she still got three months left to go?
Rory stretched her arms out above her head and groaned loudly. How could it already be time to get up?

Rory heard the sound of feet shuffling across the laminate floor and then saw Logans face appear at her bedroom door.
'Is everything ok?' Logan asked.
Although he still looked tired, Logans eyes were wide open, almost as if he had pins keeping his eyelids apart.

'Yes, I'm fine...' Rory rolled her eyes. Ever since Logan had moved back into the apartment about three weeks back, every single sound or twinge Rory made seemed to put him on high alert.
'I just can't believe it's already time to get up. I feel like I've only been asleep five minutes. We have to leave for court in...' Rory rolled over onto her side and picked up her phone. 'Oh, shoot! 45 minutes. I gotta start getting ready.'

As Rory shuffled over to the edge of the bed, she noticed out of the corner of her eye that Logan was stretching and wincing in pain.

'What's up?' she asked.
Logan said nothing, but just gritted his teeth and put one hand out towards Rory, in an attempt to stop her from asking any more questions.
Rory slowly pushed herself up from the edge of the bed and walked towards Logan.
'No Logan', she said. 'You're clearly in pain. Is it your back again? I told you that you didn't have to stay here any more. I've been absolutely fine for weeks now!'

About a month back Rory had been admitted to hospital, after a significant drop in blood pressure caused by some complications in her pregnancy. Logan had come to stop over for a couple of nights after she'd been discharged, just to make sure she was ok. Rory had found this quite comforting and useful at first, but now he'd been sleeping on her couch for the past three weeks and it was starting to drive her slightly crazy!

'I'm..I'm fine', Logan managed to say under his breath, still gasping for relief from the pain he was in.

Rory waddled over to where Logan was stood and placed both hands on his shoulders.
'Clearly you're not, Logan.' She sighed, loudly. 'You've been in pain like this for days now. Listen, why don't you go and stay back at your apartment after court today? At least for a couple nights. It'll give you chance to get some sleep and sort your back out. Then, I'll call you in a couple days to see how we can make this work.'

Logan put his hands up to Rorys arms and moved them away from his shoulders. He exhaled loudly and begun chewing his lip.
'I dunno ace, that does kinda sound like a good idea. Are you sure you'll be ok here on your own?'
'Yesss..' Rory rolled her eyes and then waddled around Logan, before placing her hand on his back and slowly pushing him towards the door of the apartment.

**

Logan unlocked the front door to his penthouse. As he attempted to push the door open, he felt some resistance. Logan moved towards the door and tilted his head through the tiny gap he had managed to make appear. He almost laughed when he saw what was causing the blockage. Mail!

Logan bent down so that he was crouched in a frog-like position, wincing at the pain he felt in his back as he moved. He managed to reach one of his hands around the door and pick up the offending items. Logan grabbed a wadge of mail and then moved around to sit with his back against the wall and feet spread across the landing outside the apartment.

Logan leafed through the peices of paper and envelopes that were in his hand. It was all the kind of mail that he seemed to acquire on a daily basis; pizza menus, telephone bills, coupons etc.

When Logan reached the envelope at the bottom of the pile he knew exactly what it was. He'd known this day would come for over a year now, but somehow he still hadn't expected for it to be this soon.

The first thought in Logans head, as he tucked his finger under the seal of the envelope and begun tearing away, was 'how am I going to tell Rory about this?'