Part 43 - Stars Hollow

'Err Luke, are you sure two year olds can eat beef burgers?' Lorelai stared down at the several plates of food her husband had set out on the kitchen table.
'Well it's not as if we're giving the kid vodka shots!' Luke shouted from the living room.
'I'm not sure Rory liked this when she was his age' Lorelai bit her lip, 'she was more into dino nuggets and pop tarts.'
'That's because you were her mother!' Luke shouted back. Lorelai walked over to the kitchen door and peeked into the living room where her husband was sat. She coughed loudly, so that he would notice that she was there.
'What are you trying to say about my parenting skills?' Lorelai put a hand to her chest. Luke looked up from the telivision.
'Nothing' he said, 'it's just that you've never really been one for preparing fresh homemade meals'.
'Luke!' Lorelai pretended to sound offended, 'I'll have you know that Rory did not drink coffee until she was six years old!'
'My point exactly' Luke replied and he turned to look back at the telivision. Lorelai walked over to Lukes seat in the living and picked up the remote. She lifted it up and switched off the telivision.
'What are you doing?!' her husband said, throwing his arms up in the air.
'You gotta get up and help me get ready' Lorelai said, 'Rory just called and they're at the airport waiting. They'll be here soon'.
'But I'll miss the end of the..' Luke began. But before he could finish, Lorelai had leaned forward and took the beer from his hand.
'The rest of the game can wait' she said, staring down at him.
'How many times have I tried to explain this to you Lorelai' Luke sighed, 'that's not how baseball works'. Lorelai just rolled her eyes at him.
'Now come and help me lay out the toys I bought'. Reluctantly, Luke stood up, but he still protested.
'You need my help to lay out the toys?' he asked, squinting.
'Well I don't know what order he's gonna wanna play with them in' Lorelai began, 'he might wanna play with the stuffed bunny first and then the lego bricks and then the arts and crafts, or the arts and crafts and then the lego bricks and then the stuffed bunny. Or he might go totally crazy and play with the lego bricks first. Who knows what goes on in the minds of toddlers!' she threw her arms up in the air.
'Or women in their fifties' Luke muttured under his breath. 'I'll put the tricycle together' he mumbled.
'That's perfect!' Lorelai replied and she gave him a peck on the cheek.

**
About half an hour later, Lorelai and Luke were sat on the couch, surrounded by childrens toys. Lorelai lay with her head on Lukes lap, as she fiddled with a stuffed rabbit.
'Do you think he'll remember us?' she looked up at Luke and asked. Luke had retrieved his beer by now and was sat nervously picking at the label.
'Hhmm...' he mumbled. Sensing that something was wrong, Lorelai swung her legs around and sat up, so that she could look directly at her husband.
'What's up?' she asked.
'Nothing' Luke mumbled, but she could tell something was up and she was quite sure she knew what it was.
'Ah Luke, he won't remember' she said, 'no he won't remember that'.
'But you all remember it, don't you' Luke said. 'Rory remembers it, Logan remembers it, you remember it..' Lorelai put her finger on Lukes chin and turned his face to look at her.
'Listen Luke' she said, 'absolutely noone blames you for what happened. Not one bit. It just as easily could have have happened to any of us. It all happened so quickly'.
'I know but I still feel like I'm to blame', Luke replied, still playing with his beer. Lorelai picked up the bunny that was on her knee. She knew how to make him laugh.
'I don't blame you Luke' she said in a squeaky voice, 'I think you're the best and you're going to be the best grandpa!' She pushed the rabbit into Lukes face and noticed the corners of his mouth turn up.
Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Lorelai jumped up out of her seat.
'They're here' she squealed, all of her emotions hitting her at once. Luke placed a calming hand on her shoulder.
'Just stay calm honey, you don't want to scare the poor boy'.
But Lorelai just wriggled out of Lukes grasp and walked over to the front door. She opened it, ready to embrace the little boy, but was surprised by what she saw. Rory was stood there looking the saddest Lorelai had ever seen her. Logan was stood behind her, a hand on her shoulder.
'He's gone again mum!' Rory wailed. Lorelai threw her arms out and rubbed her daughters hair, as the tears came rolling out once again.