Part 16

Logan walked into the office, put his briefcase down and sat down at his desk.
'Alice!' He called out to his assistant, 'coffee!'
'Coming!' his assistant replied. Within seconds, a fresh cup of coffee was placed on his desk. How she managed to do that so quickly, he could never figure out.

Going back to work straight after it had all happened had provided a good distraction for Logan. And plus, multimillion dollar companies didn't just run themselves.

Things between him and Odette had become more and more strained since he'd gotten back to London. Odette had very quickly started to pretend that nothing had ever happened. She went back to being the housewife and homemaker that she always had been. He'd begun to work later nights at the office, so he barely saw anything of her now.

The only time they really spent together was at night when they lay in bed next to other. He could tell she wasn't sleeping. Although, she'd stopped screaming out loud now.

Logan was hardly sleeping at all, he just lay awake at night, waiting for Rory to call. But she hadn't. She'd sent him the odd courteous WhatsApp message with photos of his son, which always made him smile. Although he hadn't recieved one for a few days now and she hadn't answered any of his calls.

He understood why. This had to be tough on her. She'd just given birth and he'd barely been there 24 hours, before he'd been whisked away. He knew from the conversation he'd had with Rory before he'd left that she totally understood why he had to leave.

And then they'd shared that moment. The moment when he'd wanted to pick her up and kiss her like he'd never kissed her before. But he knew he couldn't. Even then, he could tell that she was holding something back, something that she'd wanted to say to him.

When he'd seen her outside on the patio with her mum and Luke, he'd wanted to hold her and tell her that everything was going to be ok, but he knew that would only make it worse. He'd done all he could do without once again making her heart break even further.

And so now all he could do was to wait for her to make the first move and to lay awake every night praying to himself that tomorrow would be the day she would do it.

Logan reached down into his pocket, looking to check his phone for what had to be the thousandth time already that day. But it wasn't there. He checked all of the pockets in his jacket and shirt, but still no phone. Surely it couldn't have slipped out. He always kept it so close to him.

Panicking, he sifted through his briefcase, but his phone wasn't anywhere to be seen. What if Rory had called? He began opening and slamming shut the draws in his desk in frustration. Surely he hadn't put it down somewhere and forgotten it.

'Everything ok Mr Huntzberger?' Alice asked, as she poked her head around the door.
'Erm, no.' Logan began, 'Alice would you be able to put me through to my wife at home? I seem to have misplaced my cell phone'.

Brrr brrr he could hear Alice dialing his home number. Brr brrr it carried on ringing for about a minute, before Alice poked her head back around the door.
'I'm sorry Mr Huntzberger' she said meekly, 'but noone appears to be answering'.

That's strange, Logan thought. Odette always seemed to be at home when he called, although he never really called any more.
'Thank you Alice' he said, as she shut the door behind her. Logan ran across the room to catch the door handle before it swung shut.
'Alice!' he shouted and Alice turned on her heels to look at him. 'Can you order me a car back to my place please?'

When Logan arrived back at the house the front door was locked shut. That's strange, he thought, Odette never leaves the door locked when she's at home. When he stepped inside the house it was dark and empty, the hallway light switched off.
'Odette!' He called out switching on the light. She must still be in bed where he'd left her that morning. In fact, come to think of it, she'd rarely been out of bed this last week.
'I left my phone here' Logan shouted, as he began to run up the stairs to the bedroom. But still, no reply.

Logan opened the door to the bedroom he shared with his wife. The bed was made neatly, but Odette was nowhere to be seen. She must have gone for a walk. He leaned over to reach for his phone, which was plugged in at the side of the bed. No missed calls from Rory. Deep down he'd known she wouldn't have called anyway.

Logan put his phone in his pocket and went to walk towards the door. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed his passport lying on the dresser. He couldn't remember having had it out for anything, since he got back to London two weeks ago. Logan picked up the passport and went to put it in the drawer next to his wifes. And then he realised, Odettes passport was missing.