Part 79

A knock on the front door woke Rory up. Not that she'd ever fully been asleep anyway. She'd become so used to having someone sleep next to her, that now sleeping alone was almost impossible. Lorelai had offered to stay last night, but Rory had tried put a brave face on and let her get back to her life in Stars Hollow. But in truth, all she'd wanted was for someone to hold her all night and stroke her hair as she'd cried herself to sleep.

The knock at the door sounded again, bringing Rory back around to her senses. Rory got out of bed and looked down at herself. She was dressed in short pyjamas, but had been wearing one of Logans sweaters all night. Somehow that had helped make her feel less alone. And now, at least it made her look decent enough to go to the front door.

'I'm coming!' she shouted. As Rory made the short walk from her bedroom to the front door, she noticed the wine bottles left strewn across the living room from last night. When things had gotten serious her and Lorelai had switched from coffee to something stronger. That was why her head was pounding so much.

Rory opened the door and rolled her eyes and sighed when she saw what was in front of her. How hadn't she guessed before what was coming? Logan had always been a fan of a grand gesture. Reluctantly, Rory took in the massive bouquet of bright pink roses that the delivery driver in front of her was carrying, tipped him and shut the front door. Rory put the flowers down on the kitchen worktop next to her. She was too exhausted now to do anything with them.

Almost immediately, Rorys phone started to ring. She walked over towards the bedroom, where she'd left it last night before going to sleep. When Rory saw Logans name appear on her screen with a love heart next to it, she instinctively moved her thumb to answer. But then she froze, as she suddenly remembered what was happening.

Rory threw herself backwards onto the bed, holding the phone as it rang out. Almost immediately, it pinged with a text message.

'Like the flowers? Xx' it said. Rory ignored it. But then a few seconds later another text pinged through.

'Ace, please talk to me. I'm so sorry. I love you xxxx'

Rory ignored this as well and switched over to see the rest of her unread messages.

'How are you today honey. You ok? Xx' A text from Lorelai.

'Yeah I'm good, don't worry xx' Rory replied. An obvious lie.

When Rory heard her phone ring again a few seconds later, she sighed out loud. Was Logan ever gonna get the picture and stop calling? But then she froze, as an unknown number appeared on her screen. Rory answered the phone.

'Good morning', a cheerful womans voice rang out. 'Mitchem Huntzbergers office. Mitchem would like to speak with you this morning. Is now a good time?'

Rory sighed out loud again. 'Yeah sure, patch me through', she said. At least if she spoke to Mitchem, she wouldn't have to speak to Logan directly.

'Good morning, Rory!' Mitchem sounded surprisingly cheerful on the other end of the phone.

Rory didn't even bother to answer him, before she begun ranting down the phone. 'Now, listen Mitchem, if Logans sent you to do his dirty work, then he can just..'

Clearly taken aback by this, Mitchem interrupted her. 'What's going on Rory?' He asked, his voice sounding softer than usual. 'I haven't heard from Logan in days. His office called this morning and said he hadn't shown up to work. Apparently nobody knows where he is and he hasn't called in or anything.'

At hearing this, Rorys heart dropped. She knew it was instinct, but a pain suddenly hit her as if she'd been stabbed in the chest. Thoughts of a few weeks back when Logan had disappeared to LA flooded her mind.

Clearly confused even more by Rorys silence, Mitchem spoke again. 'Rory, is everything..Are you ok?'

'Yeah', Rory tried to hold back the tears that were forming in her throat and took a deep breath in. 'We just had a bit of a fight last night over something stupid. But it's nothing, I'll give him a call now.'

When Mitchem eventually hung up the phone, Rory took a deep breath in and started to wipe away the tears that had formed on her face. Rory scrolled through her phone and dialled Logans number. She needed to know that he was ok.