Part 45

Maddie met her husband outside the front of the airport. She embraced him a hug, but he pulled away quickly.
'I really don't have long Maddie' Antonie said, 'my parents are picking the boys up from kindergarten, so I wanted to be back to put them to bed. I need to figure out some way of explaining to them where you are.'
'I know' Maddie looked down and the floor and swung back on her heels, 'I'm so sorry. Just tell them that mummy and Auntie Odette went on holiday and that I'll be back as soon as I can.'
'But how long will that be, Maddie?' Antoine asked, sounding irritated, 'because I don't even know!'
'I know' Maddie replied. She tried to grab her husbands wrists, but he pulled away. 'I don't know for definite either. My plan is to just fly out there and get them both settled somewhere. I should be back in a couple of weeks'.
'Where are you even going?' Antoine asked, a blank expression on his face.
'Los Angeles, California' Maddie replied. 'I thought if we can at least get Daniel back into the United States, then I can call his real mum and try and get them reunited. And plus, that's a lot better than going to some country that doesn't speak English'.
'I'm still not sure about this Maddie' Antoine rubbed his hands together, nervously, 'I think I should call Amelie'.
'No! Don't!' Maddie said abruptly, 'at least not until I get them out there. Odette needs to think I still trust her, or else she'll just bolt'.
'Well, what should I tell her?' Antoine asked, 'I can't lie to my sister'.
'You don't have to!' Maddie said back, 'just tell her that Odette took Daniel from our house and ran off with him. That's kinda the truth anyway. Just don't tell her that we know where she is'.
'I'm still not sure' Antoine said, nervously, 'think about that poor couple who are waiting for their little boy to come back.' He looked at his watch. 'We should have landed over there in a couple of hours. Is there no way we can get a message to them?'
'I know, I feel terrible about that as well!' Maddie ran her hands through her hair, 'but I've thought it over a thousand times and there's no way we can get a message to them, without blowing my cover.'
Antoine exhaled loudly. 'Ok' he said, I best get back to the boys. Here's your passport'. He handed the passport over to his wife alongside her phone and a small bag of clothes, 'are you sure about this?'
'Antoine' Maddie looked at her husband sincerely, 'what other choice do I have? I'll see you soon hopefully anyway. I'll try and get a message to you when we land. Give the boys a kiss from me.'
'I will do' Antoine mumbled. Maddie tried to give her husband a kiss on the lips, but he turned to give her his cheek and then begun to walk away. But as he did, something struck him, making him freeze in his tracks.
'Maddie' he said, still not turning around. He didn't want them to see each others faces when he asked her this. 'Surely if Odette kidnapped Daniel he wouldn't have a passport, so how is she planning on getting him through customs?' When Maddie didn't reply, Antoine begun to feel sick to his stomach. 'She's not putting him in the..' was all he could manage.
'Yes' his wife replied quietly. Antoine couldn't say anything. He just picked up his pace and ran faster towards his car.