Part 59

'Oh my dear, Rory! That's so sad to hear! You've been through so much this past couple of years and just when we thought things were getting back on track!' Emily said down the phone. 'I'll tell you what, why don't you and Logan come and stay with me for a couple of days? The weathers so beautiful right now and there's some lovely walks you could go on! And I'll get Berta to make us a lovely dinner at night. Oh! And I bought one of those outdoor grill things that Logan sometimes uses. Maybe he could cook us something on that!'

Logan looked over at Rory, rolled his eyes and glared at her, indicating that this wasn't a good idea. Rory felt guilty as she knew her grandmother got lonely these days, following the passing on her grandfather.
'That's a great idea grandma! But we'll maybe save it for another time. We're just on our way back to New Haven after staying with mom and Luke for a while and Logan needs to get back into the swing of things at work.'
'Oh that's a shame', Rory could hear her grandmother deflate on the other end of the phone. 'You'll miss this beautiful weather. It's meant to get cooler in a couple of weeks time'.
'I know Grandma', Rory said. 'But Logans taken a lot of time off and we want to get a little bit of normality back in our lives for a while after everything that's happened'. She frowned to herself.
'So, what will you be doing with your time when you get back into New Haven?' Emily asked.
'I really don't know.' This was the first time Rory had thought about this. 'I was supposed to finish assisting on Amelies course. There's only a couple of weeks left, but after everything thing that's happened between us, I don't think I could stomach it'.

Emily carried on as if she hadn't even heard what Rory had said. 'Maybe you should get back into writing!' she said. 'I actually sent your book out to somebody in California just a couple of weeks back.' Rory decided to say silent. She'd learned over the years that once Emily got carried away with an idea in her head, it was best to just leave her to it. 'I met her at the inter-state DAR reunion last month. It was a dreadful affair! But I met a lovely woman named Sylvia or Sylvester or something like that. Apparently she's a foster carer over in Los Angeles. Anyway, she seemed really interested in your book, so I sent it over to her. She actually sent me a note back just yesterday saying how much she loved it. And then it gave me an idea for something that you could do to give you a bit of a purpose. You could really do with that at the moment, couldn't you?'

Both Rory and Logan rolled their eyes at the same time, in response to Emilys insensitivity. But Rory knew it was best to just humour her grandmother and let her carry on, without asking any questions.

'So I was thinking that perhaps you could do a sequel, or even if you wanted, you could write about something totally different. What do you think to that?!' Emily paused for a moment before she said, 'oh goodness Rory, I have an even better idea, why don't I cowrite it with you?! I've been looking for a new hobby and I've always quite fancied myself as a writer. Plus, we don't really get to see a lot of each other these days.' Noticing after a few seconds that Rory hadn't given any response to this, Emily added 'so what do you think?'
Rory couldn't think of anything worse, so all she said was 'I don't know grandma'.
'Well have a think about it!' Emily said 'and get back to me!'

Immediately regretting her previous response, Rory tried to find a way of getting out of this awkward conversation. 'Anyway grandma', she said. 'We've just arrived back in New Haven and we're about 5 minutes away from our apartment. We have a lotta bags to offload and things, so I better hang up now.'
'Ok, Rory' Emily said, 'I'll say goodbye then, but make sure you call again soon'.
'I will' Rory said , bye Grandma'.
'Bye Rory' Emily said and she hung up the phone.

As soon as she did, Logan burst out laughing.
'Five minutes away from our apartment!' he said. 'Rory, we got at least another fifteen minutes to go!'
'Don't Logan!' Rory replied. 'You're making me feel bad! But I had to get out of that conversation. Writing a novel together. Could you imagine?!'
'Well, I'd rather you than me' Logan chuckled.

When they arrived at their apartment building around 20 minutes later, Rory and Logan got out of the car. Logan lifted one of the bags from the trunk and slipped an arm over Rorys shoulder.
'You ready for this, ace?' he asked. Rory took a deep inhale.
'As ready as I'll ever be', she said.
Logan gave Rorys shoulder a reassuring squeeze. She moved closer to him and leant her head on his chest.
'Five minutes away!' Logan said. Rory lauged for the first time in days.