Part 64

Wendy swivelled her chair towards the computer screen. This Logan guy seemed a pretty big deal. No, his father seemed a pretty big deal and it looked as if Logan was the heir to his fortune.

So, what motivation would this man have for taking Daniel? And how had he even found out about the case? Wendy assumed that Logan had some sort of position within the newspaper  industry. He'd probably picked up a lead and was looking for some sort of inside scoop.

But something about that theory didn't quite add up. Wendy leant forward on the desk and placed her chin in one of her hands. She could sense that Shelby was stood next to her waiting to get her desk back, so she'd have to be quick.

A couple of items down the Google search list was an article about Logan being linked romantically to a woman named Rory Gilmore. The headline read:

'Heir to the Huntzberger dynasty seen in public with best-selling author Rory Gilmore.'

Below there was a picture of Logan hand-in-hand with a woman, who had short brown hair and bright blue eyes.

The first thought that struck Wendy, and she didn't know why this was, was that Rory had the same bright-blue, piercing eyes as Daniels. At realising this, Wendy gasped. As she noticed Shelbys perfectly manicured hand on her shoulder, she suddenly remembered where she was.

'Are you ok?' Shelby asked.
'Yeah I just.. have you ever heard of this Rory Gilmore woman?'
Shelby just laughed. 'Have I heard of Rory Gilmore?!' she said, throwing her arms in the air. 'Is that some sort of a joke? Everyone knows who Rory Gilmore is. She's like a best-selling author all over the world'.
Suddenly feeling self conscious, Wendy said 'I'm sorry, I don't really get much time to read'.

'That's alright', Shelby said. 'I'm rereading her book again right now actually. You can borrow it if you like!' Shelby awkwardly reached across Wendy and opened one of the desk drawers. The book looked familiar. Wendy felt sure she'd seen it bookshops, but she'd never really stopped to look. Shelby placed the book on the desk in front of Wendy, so she was able to study it further.

After a few seconds, Shelby suddenly started whispering, 'hey, Wendy'.
'Shelby, why are you whispering?' Wendy asked, confused.
Shelby put a figure to her lips. 'I really shouldn't tell you' she said, 'but there was some gossip going around about Rory Gilmore about two years ago, just after her book blew up'.
Wendy leant forward, keen to know more.
'Apparently', Shelby said, 'Rorys son was kidnapped when he was only about two weeks old'.

At hearing this, Wendy suddenly felt faint. This must have been clearly visible, as Shelby looked at her and frowned.
'Wendy', she said, 'Wendy are you ok?'
'Yeah' Wendy said, grabbing onto the arms of the chair. Suddenly it felt like the office was spinning and somehow, she thought, this would keep her grounded.
'Could you just grab me a glass of water?' she managed to gasp.

As Shelby started to make her way towards the office kitchenette, Wendy stopped her and asked 'and did Logan Huntzberger leave his number?'