Part 61 - California City Correctional Facility

Odette looked at Logan as if she'd seen a ghost.
She sat down on one of the metal chairs and picked up the plastic phone next to her.
'Logan Huntzberger, aren't you a sight for sore eyes? How the hell did you even get in here?'
'That doesn't matter' Logan said, 'I'm just after one thing and that's an explanation as to where my son is?'
'Oh yeah,' Odette replied, 'I heard Rorys little boy disappeared. Have they not found him yet?'
'Odette cut the crap', Logan said, 'I know you know where he is.'
'Logan, how on earth would I know where your son is?' Odette lowered her voice and looked directly into Logans eyes. She clasped her hands together on the desk in front of her. 'Listen, Logan' she said, 'I have absolutely no clue why you've come here, but I get what you're going through. I recently lost my son and I know that if I weren't in here I would do whatever...'
Logan threw his hands down on the table in front of him, making it shake.
'But he's not your son, Odette!' He shouted.

One of the prison guards glared at Logan. He knew that now they knew who he was none of the prisoner guards would kick him out, but he still felt frustrated at himself for losing his temper so quickly. He took a deep breath in and tried to calm himself down.
'Where the hell is he, Odette?' he almost whispered.
'Who? My son? Oh I don't know', Odette said nonchalantly, 'thanks for asking though.'
Logan gritted his teeth, trying to keep his cool.
'Where the hell is Dylan?' was all he managed to say.
'Who?' Odette asked, in the same calm tone, 'I thought we were talking about my son Daniel. Now I'm so confused! But I've already told you Logan, I have no clue where your son is.'

Logan paused for a moment. It was time to take a different approach.
'Odette, I know why you're in here' he said. 'You forget that my father owns half of this countrys media! Hell, I work in a newsroom, so I tend to be privy to these sorts of stories before they even break!'
'What stories, Logan?' Odette feigned innocence.
'Oh' Logan said, 'we recently had one in about two women who apparently smuggled a child over from France to Los Angeles in a carry on case and ever since that story came in, I've been wondering to myself what on earth would lead a woman to do that to her own child?'

Odette cackled. Logan almost jumped out of his skin, but he tried to keep his cool.
'And you think that's me?!' she said, placing a hand on her chest. 'So you think that I'm one of those two women?'
'No Odette, I know you're one of those two women. Did you know they're not gonna protect your identity when the story breaks?' Logan could feel a bead of sweat dripping down his forhead. Damn this Los Angeles heat! 'And you know what, Odette?' he continued, 'I actually thought you might be clever enough to change your name!'
'For what?' she asked.
'Oh come on Odette!' Logan was chuckling himself now. 'I know why you suddenly disappeared off to France!'
'Really?' Odette asked, 'Did my aunt call you before she died then? Did she tell you that I'd gone over there to care for her?'

Logan rocked back in his chair and threw his arms up in the air. This woman had spun such an intricate web of lies.

'Oh Odette!' he said, 'you lie so much, I'm not sure that you even know what the truth is! You have no sick aunt in France! Did you forget that my family has known yours for like a gazillion years and your mother never had a sister!'
'It was an aunt on my fathers side' Odette tried to interject, but Logan carried on. He'd rehearsed this speech in his head time and time again.
'Can you explain to me then why you completely dropped off the radar? I came home one day and you were gone! And then two years later you turn up in a prison in Los Angeles and openly admit to me that you have a son!'

'Logan, we'd just lost a baby and I was in bits and I'd just found out you'd fathered another womans child. Sorry I didn't send a postcard', Odette carried on, 'And I know you may find this difficult to contemplate but my life did carry on after you. After my aunt died, I fell in love with the undertaker and got pregnant pretty soon after that.'
Tired after his big speech, Logan simply added, 'but you know your sons too old for that story to be true'.

'Logan' Logan didn't know how Odette had kept so calm throughout this whole process. 'I never told you how old my son was', she said. And then she added, 'Logan I know you've come here to get me to admit to some massive crime, but I'm in here for stealing a lot of money from an old man and that's all. I know you think I stole Rorys baby and smuggled him over to France and back over here, but I'm never gonna admit to that'. She winked at him.