Part 91

'Just give me five minutes.'
As Logan got up out of his seat, Rory put her hands on his wrists, in an attempt to pull him back down again.
'Lo..'
'No, ace, I just need five minutes.' Logan walked over to the door and left the apartment.

Rory sat back down on the couch and started to run her hands through her slicked back hair. Remembering that it was still tinged with sick, she wiped her hand on her skirt. As she reached her pocket, Rory felt her phone vibrate under her hand.

Lorelai calling. She must have been worried sick when Rory and Logan suddenly disappeared from the court. Rory had to respond.

Before Rory could even speak, Lorelai begun almost screaming down the phone.
'Where the hell have you been, Rory! We saw you and Logan stood over there and we thought we better leave you to it, because you looked like you were pretty close and I didn't wanna...'

'Mom! We weren't gonna...!'

Lorelai didn't let Rory finish her sentence. 'So I turned away because we didn't know what was going on and I thought Luke was gonna puke and I'd had enough of that today...I didn't wanna have to tie his hair back as well!'

Rory laughed.

'And then you were both gone! What the hell happened to you, Rory?! And why weren't you answering your phone.'

'I told him mom...'

'You told him what?' Lorelai paused, as she suddenly realised what Rory was referring to. 'Oohhh sweetie! How did he take it?'

'He's gone mom.' Rory could sense the fear in her own voice. 'He's gone. I literally told him just this minute and now he's left the apartment and I don't...'

'Wait, Rory', Lorelai interrupted, in an attempt to calm her daughter down. 'What did he say?'

'Nothing. Just that he had to take 5 minutes.'

'And that was how many minutes ago?' Lorelai asked.

'Oh, I don't know, he literally left just a few seconds before I answered this call.'

'And that's been...' Rory imagined Lorelai taking the time to look at her phone. '...3 minutes and 21 seconds.. Oh Rory! At least give him the five minutes he's told you he's gonna take...the poor boys literally just been told he's gonna be a father again!'

'Boy...?' Rory managed to chuckle. 'Mom, he's nearly forty!'

'It doesn't matter', Lorelai replied. 'You guys will always be kids to me. So yeah Rory, you just gotta give the guy a minute to take it all in, I'm sure he'll be back when he's had a chance to process it all.'

'Thanks, mom.'

**

Logan walked along the waters edge, staring down at his feet and counting every single step under his breath. '92...93...'

Logan thought about how beautiful the area was that he and Rory had decided to buy the apartment in. Of course, when they'd bought it, it wasn't the intention that he would live there, but as time had gone on he'd begun to get used to it, and in fact, he thought, he loved it.

This urban, yet peaceful area was a quiet retreat from inner city life. Their apartment, although modest, sat on the fourth floor of an apartment block, overlooking a park and boating lake.

This was the lake that Logan was walking around now, placing one foot in front of the other, as he tried to process the news Rory had just given to him. 94...95...ninety...

Logan jumped out of his skin when a little girl flew into him, almost out of nowhere. Her piercing scream knocked him out of his trance, as he noticed the sticky, strawberry ice cream that was now trickling down his suit. Great, this was Armani.

Immediately, an arm reached out and tried to scoop up the little girl, but she stood glued to the spot.

'That man...!' She pointed a finger towards Logan. 'That man hurt my ice cream!'

Logan laughed to himself. He didn't know why, maybe it was all of the stress of today, but the fact that an inanimate object could be hurt somehow amused him.

Logan crouched down and looked up at the little girl, who now somehow seemed taller than him.

'Hey sweetie, what's your name?' he asked her, suddenly touched by the bright blue eyes that stared back at him.

'My names Emily, what's yours?' The little girl asked.

'It's Logan', Logan replied. 'My names Logan and I'm so sorry I hurt your ice cream! Here..' Logan reached into his pocket and pulled out a crisp ten dollar note . 'Go get mommy to buy you a brand new one!'

Logans heart melted as the little girls eyes widened in awe. Suddenly, he felt a pang in his chest. He knew where he needed to be.