Part 81 - Rory and Logans apartment in New Haven

Logan turned his key in the apartment door and pushed it open, letting himself into the flat.
He walked over to where Rory was sat on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket, with an old 80s chick-flick on the tv screen.
'Ace'. Despite Logans quiet tone, Rory almost jumped out of her skin when she heard him behind her.
'Oh, sorry.' Logan reached over the couch and put his hands on Rorys shoulders. Rory wriggled away from him, so he ran around to the front of the couch. Logan tried to make a space for him to perch on the end of the coffee table, pushing away the various food boxes that were scattered on top of it.

Rory didn't say anything, but instead she leant forward and pushed Logans shoulder, clearing her sight of the tv screen.
'Rory', Logan shuffled, so that he was in Rorys direct line of sight again. 'Can I just explain...'
Rory didn't say anything, she just picked up the remote and turned the telivision volume higher.
'Rory!' Frustrated now, Logan reached out and grab Rorys arm, managing to free the telivision remote from her tight grip. When Logan turned off the telivision and put the remote in his back pocket, Rory scowled at him.
'No Rory', Logan said. 'Can you just quit this stupid game you're playing!' Logan was trying to keep his cool, but struggling. 'We need to talk'.

Finally, Rory pulled out the ice cream spoon that was wedged between her two lips - How hadn't he noticed that before now! - and placed the freezing cold tub down on the floor next to her.
'Logan'. Rorys tone was monotonous, so it was difficult for Logan to sense her emotions. 'We talked last night.' Logan tried to interject, but Rory just scowled at him. 'Like I said in my text, you can come in and fill up your boxes, but then you gotta leave.'

'But ace', Logan said, 'can you not just let me explain..?'
Rory sighed out loud. 'I told you this last night, Logan. No amount of explanation is gonna change things. Now..' Rorys expression looked even more stern, if that was possible. 'Believe me. I don't wanna make this any harder than it needs to be...' she rubbed her hands through her hair.
Logan leaned forward and put both hands on Rorys knees. This time she didn't flinch, so he took the opportunity to look directly into her eyes.
'But it doesn't even need to be hard at all.' Logan started to rub Rorys knees with his thumbs. And still, surprisingly, she didn't flinch. 'Ace, it doesn't have to be like this. I've told you over and over how sorry I am and I'll tell you again a million times over if it means... Ace.' Logan stopped rubbing Rorys knees now and moved his hand up to her arms, still staring her directly in the eyes. 'Ace, we've been through so much. Surely we can't give up now.'

Rory shuffled along the couch, so that she was now sat upright. Tightening, Logan noticed, her grip on his forearm. 'But that's exactly it, Logan!' Rorys voice was beginning to crack, so Logan moved his hand tentatively onto her back and started to rub it, in the soothing way he knew she liked.
Rory took a deep breath in. 'I do give up!' she was shouting now, so Logan continued to rub her back, making the occasional 'ssshing' noise. 'I can't do this any more!' And she burst into tears.
Instinctively, Logan threw his arms around Rory and she settled her head into his chest, continuining to sob uncontrollably. Logan continued to rub Rorys back and make the 'sshhing', until her wails became a murmur.

After a few seconds, Logan slipped his hand in between him and Rory and placed it under her chin.
'Ace..', Logan tilted Rorys head back so he was looking into her tear-stained face.
Rory wrenched herself forward and threw her lips onto his.
As Logan slipped his hands back across Rorys back and up to her hair, he couldn't help but smile to himself.