Part 32 - New Haven

'So how do I look then?' Rory asked, pointing down at the pale blue dress that she was wearing. Logan stood up off the settee, walked over to Rory and slipped his hands around her waist.
'Beautiful!' he said and he leaned forward to kiss her on the cheek. She stepped back.
'Seriously though' she said, 'I gotta make just the right impression. I mean I see Amelie twice a week for class, but I've never spent time with her socially. I mean she always makes sure she has a quick catch up with me when the class finishes, but we've never talked for very long.'
'Ace, you gotta stop fretting' Logan said and pulled Rory closer towards him. This time she settled into his arms.
'I wonder why she does what to meet with me though? Maybe it's..'
'Maybe it's what?' Logan asked.
'It's just on the first day of class, she asked me about Dylan and I kinda broke down.'
'Oh ace!' Logan said, as he tucked the one bit of Rorys hair that was dangling down behind her ear. 'How did you even get onto that?'
'Well, we were kinda just chatting and I mentioned I had a son' Rory began, 'she said I sounded down when I talk about him and I gotta admit I always do. And then I told her the whole story and now...'
Logan pushed Rory away, holding her at arms length so he could see her face properly.
'Listen,' he said, 'I'm sure it's nothing about that. She probably just wants to tell you how great your doing as an assistant'.
'I know, it's just' Rory looked directly at Logan and he knew she was being serious. 'I wish I didn't always have to be so sad when I mention his name. I wish I had happy memories of him and photos of him older than two weeks!

Logan noticed a single tear roll down Rorys cheek, so he leaned forward and wiped it away with his thumb. He wrapped his arms around Rory and cupped her head in his hand, pushing it down so it lent on his shoulder. Rory willingly leant on Logan, taking in his familar scent. He started rubbing her back. He didn't have to say anything, but to Rory his actions said a thousand words and more and more tears began to run down her cheeks.
'This is going to tarnish every part of our lives' she mumbled, as she tilted her head back slightly to look up at Logan. 'We'll never be able to have careers or anything! This will always be hanging over our shoulders.'
'No it won't ace,' Logan said, still rubbing Rorys back, 'we'll find him eventually. This won't last forever. And I'm sure Amelie doesn't think anything less of you, just because she knows what happened.'
'I know, you're probably right' Rory said, 'but some days it just hits me like a tonne of bricks.'
'It does me too' Logan replied, 'but one day I promise it won't. We'll be able to hold our precious little boy in our arms.'
'I sure hope so', Rory said. She glanced down at the watch on Logans wrist. 7.45 pm. She'd told Amelie she would meet her at 8. Rory pulled away from Logan and started to rub the tears from her face.
'I gotta go now! I'm running really late! And I probably look such a state now!' Before Logan could say anything, Rory had picked up her purse off of the settee and was headed towards the apartment door. Logan followed her across the room. When she got to the door, he grabbed her wrist to stop her from leaving.
'Rory, look at me'. Rory turned her head to look at him. Logan grabbed both her wrists. I promise you it will all be ok. Have a great night ok and don't worry you look beautiful'. He leaned forward and kissed her on the lips. Rory nodded at him.
'Ok,' she said under her breath, before she opened to door and left the apartment.