Part 49

Rory lay flat in bed, staring up at the ceiling. This was her childhood bedroom, which she'd always loved. But somehow, her memories of this room were now tainted. It was the room her little boy had been stolen from.

Logan was asleep next to her. Although, she could tell he wasn't having the best nights sleep either, as he kept tossing and turning.

Rory got up out of bed and walked round to Logans side of the bed. His phone was on charge on top of Rorys chest of drawers. Rory tried to unplug the phone quietly, but she turned around quickly when Logan reached out an arm and placed it on her elbow.
'Don't..' he mumbled, his face still buried into the pillow.
'Shhh....go to sleep' Rory said, moving out of his grasp.
Logan grabbed the back of Rorys pyjama top and pulled her onto the bed next to him. He rolled over so that he could speak to her.
'Ace, I know what you're doing.'
'I was just trying to check the time. My phones dead and I don't know where I left my charger.'
'Oh Rory, don't give me that bullshit' Logan said, 'you were checking to see if there were any texts from Amelie.'
Logan snatched the phone from Rorys hand, but she winced in protest and put her arm out to grab it from him. He held the phone close to his chest so that Rory couldn't see it.
'Ace this really isn't healthy. We could be checking our phones every 5 minutes for the next two years. When does it even stop? I hate to say it Rory, but I think we're back to square one. I think I outta get in touch with the PI.'
'Don't' Rory said, 'the guys rubbish anyway. You keep throwing money at him, but he never comes up with any leads. I know your dad recommended the guy, but has he ever dealt with anything as serious as this?' She sighed. 'I think we need to leave this to Amelie, she seems to have a plan'.
'Rory' Logan said, 'do you want to know what I really think?' He was now sat up in bed.
'Not really, but I'm sure you're gonna give it to me anyway.' Rory shuffled along the bed, so that she was sat facing Logan.
He grabbed her hands and looked up at her. 'I really don't think that Amelies the right person for this. She's only doing this because she feels responsible as she figured out where Odette was. But it kinda fell into her lap really. She's not really done anything so far, other than tell us what she'd accidentally come across..'
'But you said it yourself Logan', Rory replied 'we're just gonna be going round and round in circles. What chance have we got now really? They say most missing people turn up in the first six months or so and we're way past that now...we could just keep doing this for the rest of our lives. Every now and then we might get a lead like this one. But we'll just get our hopes up to have them dropped and I really can't go through that again'.
'No, me neither' Logan said, looking down at the bed. 'I don't think there's ever gonna be a real solution to this. We just sit tight and do nothing and nothing happens or we try and do something and still nothing happens.'

There was a knock at Rorys bedroom door.
'Come in mom!' Rory shouted.
'I heard you guys talking..' Lorelai said, 'couldn't sleep?' and she waved a tub of ice cream with three spoons in the air. 'I couldn't either.' Lorelai sat on the end of the bed and passed two of the spoons of to Rory and Logan. Rory and Logan just looked at each other and smiled. Lorelai always knew just the right way to make things feel a little better.