• Chapter 07 •

“My name is Kim Seokjin” the brown-haired starts saying to the microphone, on a calm voice “Today is Thursday, February 13th, year 2020. I came to doctor Kim Namjoon's clinic, to erase off my head all the memories I have about Kim Taehyung.”

   He intertwines his own fingers, and move them nervously, looking at a random part of the doctor's office.

   “I met him about two years ago, at my best friend Yoongi's wedding. He and Jennie married at Dongmak beach, on Incheon, and Taehyung was the photographer they asked for the event... He called my attention from the first time I saw him, because of the green strands on his hair, and later I noticed his cute smile, but it was my friend's wedding so I decided to focus on that... After the party was over and the sun was setting on the horizon, everyone started leaving, and I was sitting at the entrance of an abandoned house in the very beach. The place called my attention since I arrived. And then he just walked to me.”

   He smiles a little, recalling the moment, and then tries to keep a serious face.

   “We introduced to each other, we talked about a lot of things, he showed me the photos he took during the event, and we were having so much fun than we didn't notice it was night already. Everyone was gone, even Yoongi and Jennie, so we were the only ones there... Tae managed to enter the house through a window, opened the door, took my hand and pulled me inside. He started opening drawers and taking photos, and I thought that was so inappropriate, so I just left the place when the man ran up the stairs...”

   He looks at the ceiling for a second, as he keeps remembering.

   “About a month later I saw him at work. I'm an office worker at the 'KT' telephonic company, and every now and then we need a new song for a TV/radio advertisement. For years we've been asking a talented musician called Vante to compose those songs for us, and little did I know Vante was Taehyung's artistic name. I never saw him around the building before that day, maybe he walked by my cubicle several times while going to deliver his songs... Anyways, I was drinking coffee, he indeed went to deliver his new song and spotted me, he walked to me like the first time, we talked more and he gave me his phone number. He just told me he wanted us to go on a date whenever I want to, and that he'd wait for my call.”

   The doctor listens carefully, to encourage Seokjin on his story.

   “Our first date was at the Han river, and there we had our first kiss. The second date was at a movie theater, the third one... That was in my apartment, but we still kept things slow and calm. We became boyfriends one day we went to a fair, and soon we started sleeping at each other's place... I noticed since the very beginning that Tae is my opposite, I'm neat, a rule lover, and Tae is a surprise box, you never know what he'll do or say, he has things that I haven't seen in anyone else. Like, he has a favorite color for each and every existent thing. I never knew about something like that! His favorite flower color is yellow, his favorite sky color is that dark blue when the night is just starting, his favorite shoes color is brown, his favorite tablecloth color, I'm not kidding, I really said tablecloth, is white... I... I've never met someone so dynamic and original, but even though he was my exact opposite, there was something about him, something... Something lovely.”

   Soon, Seokjin starts remembering the bad part of their relationship.

   “Time passed by, and our differences started taking their toll.  The guy asked to me non-stop to quit my job, I don't know why he had that amount of selfishness. He also pushed me to tell him whatever I was thinking, as if everyone was as open as him. As if talking and talking and talking was real communication... Another thing, he wanted us to have an open relationship, which I thought it was ridiculous. He revealed to me that he was attracted to a boy from the magazine where he works, and he bluntly told me that he wanted to sleep with him” Jin lets out a laugh “He wanted to cheat on me in my own face, such an hypocrite. But of course, he went like 'No hyung, I am telling you before I do it, this is not a cheating' and kinda saved his conscience. He never spoke to me again about sleeping with another person, but I low-key suspected he was doing it behind my back... The last time we saw each other was the end of last month, or the beginning of this month, I'm not sure. He took my car and dented it against a water tap, and left hideous, red marks on it, and came back to my apartment around 4 am. We fought, and since he's an overreacting little shit, he gave me back his key to the apartment. He used to do that every time we fought, several times he even took all of his things, pulling a whole scandal like those television dramas, and after a few days he'd come back as if nothing had happened. I thought that last time I saw him walking through my door was gonna be the same, that I just needed to wait until the water calms, and that he was going to come back, and everything would be peace again, but he never went back. I waited for about two weeks, and went to the magazine building where he works, to talk to him and figure things out... I saw him there, very affectionate with a pretty girl with black hair. Then she went to the bathroom, and I took the opportunity to walk to him... But he didn't recognize me, because he did this same mental erasure procedure, to remove all the memories of me.”

   Jin is on the verge of tears, with that vivid pain inside his chest, but he makes an effort and collects himself.

   “Taehyung... He replaced me, he literally took me out of his life... And now I'm gonna do the same. Everything will be just like two years ago, as if we never met each other, and I really feel so satisfied with that... Thanks.”

   Jin presses the button in front of him, stopping the recording. Namjoon takes out the CD, put it inside a square, paper envelope, takes a marker and writes Jin's full name, his file number and today's date, before saving all behind his desk again.

   “Do you have any doubts before leaving?” the doctor asks, as he puts a sleeping pill inside a little paper bag.

   “Well, yes. Is there any risk of getting a brain damage?”

   “Technically the procedure itself it's a brain damage, but you don't have to worry about that, we just eliminate connections between neurons. In the morning you'll feel like you had a night out.”

   Jin nods, feeling a little better about that. The doctor hands him the little, paper bag with the pill inside, and tells him he have to take it at 9 pm, making sure he have eaten before that. Jungkook and the cadet will go thirty minutes after that, to make sure he's fast asleep.

   Jin gives him the copy of his key, and leaves the clinic. He drives back to his apartment, the third floor of the building in front of the Veterans park. He gets out of his car and walks up the stairs. It's sunset, and some dark clouds are slowly coming from the horizon.

   “Jin-oppa! How you doing?” his neighbor Dahyun waves at him, walking up the stairs behind him.

   “Hi, Dahyunnie” he waves, turning back for a second, and walking fast again, leaving the young woman far behind.

   “Hey, tomorrow is Valentine's day. My boyfriend and I wanted a double date with you and Taehyung-oppa. How does a dinner together sounds? We will have so much fun.”

   Seokjin feels an ache inside his chest. Of course, the girl is unaware of all the things that happened on their relationship. He answers without turning back.

   “Maybe. See you later, bye!” and he runs to his apartment closing the door behind him, and making sure he took out the key after that.

   Once he's inside, he goes to the fridge and makes a sandwich with anything he can put his hands on. That sandwich is literally his first meal, since the breakfast his friends forced him to eat on their apartment this morning. Then he takes a shower, being careful with the dots in his temples.

   There's still a lot of time left until 9, so he goes to his closet to get a pair of pajamas, but all of them are in the laundry bag, so he takes the blue and white plaid ones, wash and dries them quickly, and he puts it on.

   The remaining time he puts his apartment in order, even though it's beyond clean already. He moves a pillow on the couch, and puts it again in the first place, and keeps moving one thing and another thing to kill the time.

   Until it is finally 9 pm.

   He pours water on a glass, until it's half filled, then he takes the pill out of the bag, and walks to the window. He takes it, and drinks the water after that.

   Down in the street he sees a van, and he recognize it. It's a van he saw parked out of the clinic before leaving. Jungkook and that cadet they mentioned must be inside of it, waiting.

    He leans heavily on the window glass, that pill is working very fast on him.

   And then, the least expected thing happens.

   Seokjin... Changes his mind.

***********