4.6

I got up a bit earlier than usual as I previously agreed with Lydia I would help her with apple picking. It was a nice day out and I hadn't properly spent time with Lydia yet apart from constantly fighting people. We chatted with each other constantly and she eventually came more out of her shell.

"The only thing is...it's just that people don't like me very much." Lydia explained and looked down at her feet as we walked. 

"They'll come around, if not then it's their loss." I reassured her and placed my hand on her arm gently. "You're honestly a good kid."

She dryly chuckled before looking up. "I doubt that people believe that...but thanks. Y'know, you and Henry were one of the first people to talk nicely to me."

"Well I'm honoured, but there are lots of other people who of course like you too." I explain as we travel across the dirt path, getting closer to the spot where Aaron was strictly training some others.

We both stopped and admired it for a second, but hearing Aaron talk about the skins made Lydia a bit uncomfortable. "C'mon Lyd." I nodded and walked past the scene, but I turned around as I heard someone call for her. "Hey Lydia!" The boy named Gage shouted.

She turned her head towards the boy, who seemed friendly at first but then took a bag and put it over his head. It had holes cut out for eyes and a mouth, and started to mock her with it. "You think mommy will take me in?" He asked and leaned on the hay bales. The other man and woman next to him just laughed at Lydia's stare.

"Oh, right. No. She...She kicked your ass out." He took the bag off and smirked proudly. I scoffed at their childness and marched over to him. "Now you're just a freak."

"Get the hell out of here." The woman ordered but I shoved her shoulder and she grunted. "What the hell patch?"

"I swear to god if I hear y'all talking shit one more time I'll be strangling you with that bag!" I sneered and pointed at Gage in annoyance. "Trust me, I don't play nicely." I stated before I heard Lydia walk away from the scene. I snarl at them one last time before going after her. 

"Lydia!" I shouted after her and ran beside her. "Just ignore 'em."

"It's hard to ignore them when they're always there." She scoffed in annoyance. "I do what you and Negan advises me to do but they're always trying to start something!"

"You talked to Negan 'bout this?" I asked and she sheepishly nodded as she realised she had just spilled. "Taking advice from Negan is like being shat on." 

A hesitant sigh. "I just need some space...please?" Lydia asked and looked up at me. I instantly nodded my head back, "Of course. I'll be around, just find me if you need me." I said as she handed me her basket of apples and she walked away.

"Mom!" A cheerful voice exclaimed. I turned my head to see CJ skipping towards me down the path near our house. I chuckled as he came over, "Hey bud!"

"What are they?" He asked and pointed to the apples. I placed a basket down and took the bright green apple out into my hand. "An apple, you had one the other day."

"But it was red?" He replied and scrunched his face up, poking its side.

"They can be red or green, try it." I chucked it to him and he caught it instantly. It seemed like his catching skills had been improving since the regular baseball Friday games. He took a bite into it and some juices ran down his chin slightly, his face lit up as he enjoyed it. "Yummy!"