Chapter 11

The day of the ball had been one of the most hectic days of my life. Between the Queen's extensive schedule and busy days in the palace, it had been nigh on impossible to find time for fittings. The purple satin gown, with a lace cape, was exquisite. I truly had sacrificed blood, sweat and tears for this dress, and as I swerved down the small back road from my cottage, to the palace, in my father's ancient jeep, I hoped that the Queen would like it. So far, in the two fittings I had forcefully insisted on, the Queen had been pale and wan. Not a talkative woman by nature, she became practically mute, only gesturing her like or dislike with a toss of her head.

As I dramatically veered into the back entrance of the palace, breaking suddenly, I jumped out of the jeep, pulling the dress bag out of the passenger seat and began to run up the steps.

'Tess, why are you running like someone just lit your arse on fire?' A voice called out; I looked up suddenly, to see Andrew and Jamie standing on the terraced roof of the south wing, just above their private suites.

'It's Queen Sophia's dress; I'm just dropping it off.' I yelled the first half of the sentence, until I remembered where I was, and I dramatically lowered the second half.

Andrew nodded and clicked his fingers dramatically. 'Get it girl. Do your thang.'

I shook my head laughing, running through the kitchen, ignoring the desperate cries from Marty, asking for help and darted up the stairs to the Queen's suite on the third floor in the north wing.

I threw myself through the door of the Queen's office, physically wheezing so loudly that I stunned the Queen, her assistant and the two chamber maids.

'I'm sorry- Your Majesty.' I panted, bowing into one of the worst curtseys I have ever done.

The Queen waved away my curtsey and looked at my face in alarm, more specifically, at my chin. I had wished to go to one of Queen Sophia's balls for as long as I can remember. When I was a very young girl, I used to sit in our back garden and watch the feint lights coming from the summer tent in the front of the palace. I used to dream of the gowns, diamonds and dapper suits, and now that I have finally been invited- I have a spot the size of a small island on my chin.

A large, pulsing red and angry spot, which I had forced myself not to pick at, but it just seemed to get bigger and bigger. I watched the Queen's polite nature overtake her horrified gaze, and flit away from the monster on my chin to look in my eyes.

'You look very pale, Therese, is everything quite alright?' I fought the urge to repeat the question back at her, but instead chose to nod politely and smile. Soon the spot would be so big that it would overtake my mouth, so I better get the smiles in while I could.

'I'm fine, Ma'am, I was just up late working on the gowns.' I replied, running a self conscious hand over my loose hair, desperately trying to reign in the wild curls.

It was only then that the Queen looked at the dress bag in my hand and dismissing her assistant and maids. She gestured for me to come closer and bring the bag with me. I walked into her office, realising that in all my years of living on the estate, I had never been in this room. Typically, the Queen and King's wing were completely, private. Other than changing the beds occasionally during my maid duty, I had never been in all of the rooms in the suites.

I zipped open the gown bag, and showed it to the Queen. She pulled off her glasses, letting them dangle on the chain around her neck and blinked. The more she blinked, the more nervous I got, it looked like she had just seen this dress for the first time, truly paying attention to it.

'It's exquisite.' She gasped, running her hands over the plush velvet bodice, and the fragile and extravagant lace cape.

I blushed at the compliment, but this dress had been my pride and joy. Never had I experienced such satisfaction with something I had created. I swallowed a huge grin, and cleared my throat.