Chapter 4

At seven o'clock that evening, I peeked around the half open door in the living room of my house. My dad was sitting on his favourite chair watching television, his debonair suit replaced by a pair of worn jeans and a t-shirt. Normally, I wouldn't have to say anything to dad, as he would be kept behind in the palace talking and helping The King with all kinds of stuff, for some reason, he had come home early this evening.

'I'm just popping out for a walk.' I said cheerily, it technically wasn't a lie, which helped me; I can't lie to save my life, something that would have been a lot shittier if Sloane hadn't been such a pro at it.

Dad didn't take his eyes off the screen, the sound of tinned reeled laughter coming from the small, old fashioned television in the corner of the room.

'Have fun Tess, enjoy your walk, and look after yourself- make sure you're not kidnapped.' I replied to myself, mimicking my father's voice in a terrible imitation.

Dad rolled his eyes away from the screen and looked at me. 'Enjoy your walk Tess, on the private, heavily guarded main estate of The Royal Family- who I'm certain that if there is a kidnapping attempt- were the actual targets, and not the butler's eighteen year old daughter.' With that, my dad turned back to the television.

Huffing in his direction, I nodded sarcastically. 'Thanks dad, you're such a caring and devoted parent.' I was joking, he actually was. Well, he tried his best anyway.

He replied with another grunt, and I rolled my eyes this time, walking out of the living room and closed the door behind me.

The walk to the lake was a pleasant one, reminding me of all the things that I had missed while I was away. It was a sunny day, with the heat of such an unexpectedly warm English summer, still lingering in the air.

As I walked through the woods, the wildflowers brightly lit the floor of the forest, and the long grass tickled my bare legs. It was so warm this evening that I had decided on a pale violet sundress and flip-flops, but I knew that once I got onto the soft grass beside the lake, I would slip off the flip-flops and go barefoot.

I hummed to some long forgotten song as I walked, enjoying the sweet, cool breeze which brushed my hair back off my face. It was good to be home. Once the lake came into my sight, at the edge of the woods, I saw Jamie's figure, sitting on the swimming deck, skimming rocks and soaking his feet in the water.

I fought the urge to run over, I strolled with purpose, shucking off my shoes and leaving them at the edge of the woodland, I would collect them on the way back.

Jamie was sitting with his back almost to me now, and he still hadn't seen me arrive. I watched as he skimmed a rock, as it jumped three times on the surface of the lake before being enveloped by the water. Deciding to be the one to surprise him this time, I silently skipped up to him, taking great care to avoid the creak board on the swimming deck.

'Guess who?' I breathed, putting on a face voice, one which alarmingly sounded more like my father's actual voice than any of my imitations ever had.

'It's the most beautiful girl in the world here to sweep me off my feet.' He replied with an easy chuckle, and something leapt in my chest.

'Nope, it's just me.' I replied, throwing my arms over his shoulder and giving him a hug. My clasped arms lay on a chest which was as hard as marble. I tucked my head into the left side of his neck, and Jamie responded by placing a warm, large hand over mine.

'That's my next date, if you see her on the way out, will you send her over here?' He replied, chortling when I pinched the skin on his chest in retaliation.