Ch 12 {Beta Protocol}

~ 10:30 am ~

Since the meeting with Nezu, All Might barely had time to digest the situation at hand. Particularly, because he, Thirteen, and Power Loader had to evacuate students to their dorms while Nezu dealt with various calls from the HPSC.

One student had to be escorted off campus at the request of his father. This was a clear indication that the news about Jaku was spreading. Once the student from general studies left, All Might went to his office to call a mother who deserved to know where her son was.

"Hello?"

"Morning, Mrs. Midoriya! Do you have a minute...?"

"Oh! All Might! Of course, of course! What do you need?"

"I shouldn't be telling you this, but I am anyway..." He reluctantly sighed.

"Tell me what?" She was beginning to worry.

"Have you seen anything on the news about Jaku?"

"Well... My neighbors have relatives in the city, and they left in a hurry earlier today. Why? Did something happen?"

"There was an incident this morning, and heroes were called into duty. Midoriya and the rest of his class went as well. But! Only to help evacuate citizens," he made sure to add.

"Oh... Do you think he'll be okay?"

"I have no doubt he'll be fine... He's a tough kid."

"Believe me... I know!" She laughed hysterically. "So, what's going on anyway?"

"I don't know how to say this, so I'll just say it... Zomb -!"

"Toshinori!" Nezu barged in.

"Sorry, what?! I couldn't catch that," she explained on the other end.

"Apologies... I'll call you back..."

"Wait, what -?"

He hung up the call.

"Who was that?" Nezu asked.

"Wrong number," he lied.

"If you say so! Remember, we're not supposed to tell anyone about Jaku."

"Yeah, I know..." All Might sighed, knowing full well that's exactly what he was about to do.

"Well, I sent Mirio to stay with Eri for the time being. At least until Aizawa gets back."

"That's good. I'm sure she won't mind the company," All Might agreed as Nezu crawled onto his couch, where he poured a cup of tea for him. Nezu quietly sipped before sighing in relief. However, that sigh of relief was temporary because his facial expression quickly turned serious.

"They're bombing Jaku..." 

"What...?" All Might turned to look at him with complete shock from the window where an ambulance could be heard driving by.

"The HPSC confirmed. Too many lives have been lost, and they're calling for all heroes to evacuate before noon. The Beta Protocol, as they call it, will eradicate everything and anyone left in the city. 'There's no need to waste more lives' the president quoted to me earlier."

"But why build the Jaku perimeter?!"

"The wall is a death trap meant for the undead. To them, it's only a half measure."

"Tch! Do they realize civilians and heroes alike will be caught in the crossfire?!" He gritted, grasping his forehead in disbelief.

"As far as they're concerned, the warning to leave was given, so if anyone is left behind, it's on them. What's worse... They're preparing for the evacuation of the entire country in the likely chance the virus escapes the city..." Nezu heavily sighed.

"This can't be...! I mean, they can't POSSIBLY expect to evacuate the WHOLE country!"

"They can, and they will... If the circumstances force them to."

"I have to call Eraser!" All Might immediately grabbed his phone where he was met with various voice notes of the phone number being out of service.

"Don't bother... I've tried many times, but nothing is going through... I was able to reach Midnight, but even she and Vlad are held up in the city," Nezu sadly admitted while All Might attempted to call Mic and Ectoplasm only to fail.

"SHIT!" He threw his phone on the ground when thoughts of the children entered his mind.

"I never should've let them go...!" He gritted before closing his fists.

"I know..."

"What can we do?" He sat down in defeat and looked to Nezu for hope.

"I called Hawks, but it didn't go through either. Although, I did leave a voice message, which I'm hoping he'll see."

"And if not?!" He frantically asked.

"Pray..."