Trust Issues (Chapter 13)

ARMONI POV:

Bang!

Bang!

Bang!

One moment I was seated next to Aaliyah, putting ketchup on her hot dog for her and the next I was being pushed to the ground by Jerome. He kissed my lips before kissing Aaliyah's forehead. "Stay here and don't move." He ordered, I nodded my head in response before he left. What the hell is going on? I was so scared, I've never been in a situation like this before. I didn't know if my family was okay or not, all I could hear was the commotion around me.

I could hear people running and screaming around us and it was the most frightening thing.  I could tell that Aaliyah was scared as well. My body was positioned on top of Aaliyah's to protect her and I could feel her body shaking.

"It'll be okay, just pray." I whispered to her as I began praying myself. It seemed like forever that we were down there on the ground. Just as my legs began to give out, Jerome pulled Aaliyah and I, up from the ground. He had an unreadable expression on his face as I looked at him in concern. "What's wrong? What happened? Is everybody okay?" I asked, looking to him for answers.

"Go straight home and wait for me. Don't open the door for nobody!" He demanded as he pulled me into a hug and kissed my lips before doing the same to Aaliyah. "Make sure you're careful and if it seems like anybody is following you, do not go home. Try your best to lose them and stay on public roads." He said making my heart start to race. He was scaring the hell out of me right now. "Just be careful, I'll be home as soon as I can." He told me before kissing me again.

"Daddy what's going on?" Aaliyah asked him. Hell I was wondering the same.

"Just listen to Armoni, do what she says and don't give her any trouble. I'll be home soon. Y'all just gotta get outta here." He told her before pulling her into a quick hug. I was so scared that I was at a loss for words, all I could do was nod my head. The way Jerome was talking was scaring me more and more. "Please keep her safe." He mumbled to me, making me nod my head.

"But what about you?" I asked, finally finding my words.

"Just go, I'll be home later." He sighed.

"Jerome we can't leave without you. What if something happens to y-"

"It won't." He said cutting me off.

"But Jer-"

"GO!" He yelled, making me jump. I sighed before grabbing Aaliyah's hand and quickly walking away. I took one last look at him as we walked away and he was gone. I was literally feeling like I was in a bad ass horror movie. We were damn near running trying to get out of there. The bass in his voice put the fear of God in my heart. By the time we reached my car, I was damn near out of breath. I unlocked the car and started it with the button.

"Put your seatbelt on." I told her as soon as we got in the car. I simultaneously put on my seatbelt and threw the car into gear before backing out of the parking spot. Once I was out of the parking lot, I immediately called my mom to see if everyone was alright. I called her three times and she didn't pick up not once. I started to panic because my mother always picks up the phone. I began to worry as I began thinking that the worst happened.

I called my dad and he picked up on the second ring making me sigh in relief. Thank God!

"Mookie where are you? Are you okay?" He asked me.

"I'm fine Daddy. Are y'all okay? I tried calling Mama but she didn't answer." I said as I pulled onto the interstate. I made sure to stay observant of my surroundings just like Jerome told me to. I'm known to speed while driving and this time was no different.