Trust Issues (Chapter 38)

JEROME POV:

"Congratulations." She responded simply before taking a long sip of her water through her straw. I stared at her in confusion, waiting for her to at least say something else. She noticed me staring at her so she bucked her eyes at me before a mug formed on her face. "What?" She asked.

"For real? That's all you have to say?" I asked. Honestly I was disappointed by her response. I know we've had our differences but I was expecting her to be a little more excited or at least say that she was proud of me.

"What else am I supposed to say Jerome? Ask you how come you could take meetings but couldn't pick up the phone for the child that you raised for ten years? Ask how you could train for basketball with important people but couldn't send a card to the woman that birthed you on Christmas? Ask how you could do interviews but couldn't send a text to check on the girl you fucked, ducked and got pregnant?" She asked, making me sigh. "Get out my damn face with that fuck shit." She spat.

"I didn't mean to fuck and duck you. I just-"

"But you still did it bitch!" She snapped at me, before I could even finish what I was trying to say. I looked around and noticed people were staring at us due to her sudden outburst but she clearly didn't care because she continued. "You knew how special that moment was to me and how much it meant to me, but your selfish ass still abandoned me. Knowing I was already having issues with myself and you still left for almost a damn year. Nigga you hurt me so fucking bad and won't nothing change that!"

"I'm hurt too Mookie! I know I fucked up and I regret it so much. Not being with you hurts, knowing that I missed out on eight months of you carrying my child hurts, my relationship with my mama and my daughter being fucked up hurts. I know that I did it to myself and it's my fault but the whole situation hurts me too. If I could go back in time and change what happened, I would, but I can't. The only thing I can do is ask for your forgiveness and work on being a better man for you and my kids." I expressed.

"You did that shit to yourself Jerome, I don't feel sorry for you or whatever bullshit you're going through. You ain't shit for what you did to me and Li and I'll never forget you making me feel like I wasn't good enough. You can't do or say anything to fix our relationship. Even if I do forgive you, I'll never forget how low you made me feel. So fuck you and your weak ass sob story. You can kiss my insecure, broken, and emotionally unstable ass. You a bitch ass nigga." She spat.

"It wasn't my intention baby, I-" I sighed. I was trying to keep my composure and not let her words fuck with me because she was being real reckless with her mouth.

"I'm not your fucking baby and I would advise you to just shut the fuck it right now before I throw this fucking glass at your face in front of all these white people." She said calmly. "I will fuck you up in here and you know it."

I quickly shut my mouth because I knew she was crazy enough to really throw it at me and cause a scene. When Mookie is mad, all logic goes out the window. Our waitress brought her dessert and she ate it all without a word to me. I placed money on the table to cover the bill and tip. "I'll be right back, I'm going to the bathroom." I informed her.

"Last time you said you'd be back it took you eight months." She called, as she scraped the bottom of the bowl and licking the spoon with a smirk on her face. I just decided to ignore her because I knew she was trying to piss me off. Lowkey, it was working.

I left our table and walked down the hallway to get to the bathroom. After taking care of my business and washing my hands, I walked to our table to see it already cleaned off. Mookie was nowhere to be found. I walked outside to see if she was waiting in the car. She was.