Trust Issues (Chapter 24)

Armoni POV:

I looked up from the register and met eyes with Jerome. My heart instantly dropped down to the bottom of my ass, my stomach began to rumble and my heart began to race. He had an angry ass expression on his face and I already knew this wouldn't be good.

Shit!

I'm caught!

"Hi babe." I smiled innocently at him as I waved to him. I had to play this off somehow. Yes, I was acting all calm and nonchalant but in reality by heart was beating out of my chest and I was about to pee on myself.

I was nervous as hell and by the look on his face, this wasn't something he was going to let go of easily.

"Get your shit and let's go!" He said in a low tone of voice. I could that tell he was trying to control his anger but he wasn't doing to well.

"But we still have thirty minutes until close." I told him.

"Did I ask you that? I said get your shit and let's go!" He hissed. My first reaction was to snap at him and ask him who the hell he was talking to. Then I had to remember that I was the one in the wrong.

"Baby, I can't leave right now." I sighed.

"Mookie, if you do-"

"Is there a problem over here?" My manager asked as she came over and approached us. She lightly placed her hand on my back and then smiled at Jerome.

"No, everything is just fine." I smiled. "This is my boyfriend Jerome. Jerome, this is my boss Amy." I said introducing them. Amy smiled at him and then stuck out her hand for Jerome to shake it. Jerome looked at me before looking down at her hand.

Lord please don't let this man act a fool.

"Nice to meet ya, Amy." Jerome said as he finally shook Amy's hand. Thank God.

"You as well, Jerome." She nodded.

"You mind if Armoni leaves a little early tonight, we're having a little family emergency and it's kind of important." Jerome said with a tight smile on his face. I widened my eyes and put a fake smile on my face as I looked at Amy while I shook my head slowly. She looked back and forth between us and cleared her throat.

"Um, yes of course." Amy replied. "Just shut down your register and you're free to go after you clock out Armoni."

"Thank you so much Amy, it was nice meeting you." Jerome smiled.

"You're welcome Jerome. You too." She told him with a smile as she backed away from us. "Have a good night Armoni, I'll see you later."

"Yeah. Thanks a lot Amy." I mumbled as I rolled my eyes at her. She shrugged her shoulders and gave me an innocent look before she went back to whatever she was doing earlier. I made sure to take my sweet precious time shutting down my register. Once I was done, I walked as slow as I possibly could, to the back so that I could clock out and grab my things.

I took my time saying goodnight to all of my coworkers before slowly walking to the exit where Jerome was waiting for me. "If you don't bring your ass." He said smacking his lips as he grabbed my arm and led me to our cars. His grip on my arm was tight but not tight enough to be painful.

Jerome has been home from the hospital and going to therapy for about a month now. Up
until now, we've been strong in our relationship with no problems or arguments.

"I'll deal with you at home." He told me as he opened my car door and damn near pushed me into my seat. I rolled my eyes as he closed my door and walked over to his car that he was driving. Since his car was totaled in the wreck, he's been driving a rental car provided by his insurance company. His insurance gave him two weeks in the car and if he hadn't found a car by then, he'd have to pay for the rental on his own. Jerome still hasn't gone car shopping so I'm assuming he's gonna pay for a few more days in the rental out of his own pocket.