Trust Issues (Chapter 17)

ARMONI POV:

It's been two weeks since I've told Jerome that we needed a break. Against his wishes, I've been staying with Emanuel since I left. The calls and text messages from him were non-stop, so were the gifts and flowers he would bring to my job and to my classes and practice.

I don't think that Jerome understood what the definition of a break meant. Don't get me wrong, his gestures are sweet and I appreciate everything, but he won't leave me alone. He's even tried to use Aaliyah to try and get me to come back home. She did admit to missing me being around, so for the last two weekends she's stayed over here with me.

On Friday nights we stay in and have movie night with snacks and junk food, Saturday's we go get our hair and nails done together before going to do a little shopping, and Sunday's she comes to church with me and we go to dinner at my mom's house before I drop her back off with Jerome.

The day that I asked Manny if I could stay with him for a few days, he already knew something was up between Jerome and I. He kept badgering me with questions about Jerome and our relationship but I knew better than to tell him anything. He didn't believe me so he took it upon himself to pay Jerome a visit, confronting him about what happened between us.

I don't know what exactly happened between the two of them; but all I know is, the next time I saw Jerome, he was sporting a few injuries and Emanuel came home with a busted lip. I didn't ask any questions, I just put two and two together.

"Good morning baby girl." Manny said greeting me with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I was in the kitchen finishing up breakfast when he came up behind me and hugged me. I was making pancakes and bacon with fruit. Tasha and I had a system going; whoever cooked breakfast that morning, didn't have to cook dinner. The maid handled the clean up but we both loved to cook.

I didn't want to freeload off of them and live here for free and have them taking care of me, so I tried to help out around the house and with the kids as much as I could. When I tried to pay Manny a little money for rent, he looked at me as if I had cussed him out.

"Hi." I grinned as I sprinkled a little sugar on top of the big bowl of fruit that I had put together. There were strawberries, banana slices, blueberries, grapes, mandarin orange slices, mangos, pineapple chunks, slices of kiwi, blackberries, and apple slices. I mixed the fruit in the bowl with both of my hands before washing them and drying them off.

"What you got planned for today?" He asked me as he stole a piece of fruit from the bowl and eating it. I let him have that one but when he tried to reach for another piece, I smacked his hand away from the bowl.

"Just work and class." I said rolling my eyes and sighing. I was getting so tired and burnt out of going to school. I literally have to force myself to go to class and then come home and do my homework. I'll be so ready when I graduate and I finally have my degree. I pray to hopefully get my doctorate degree in psychology one day, but the way undergrad school is kicking my butt right now, who knows?

"What time you get off?" He asked me.

"Noon." I replied as I got the plates and silverware out of the cabinet. I handed them to Manny so that he could go and set the table while I finished getting everything else ready, so that we could all eat breakfast together. "Why?" I asked him.

"I was just gonna take you and Imani to lunch if y'all were free." He shrugged as I pouted.

"I wanna go." I whined.

"Well, what time does your class start?" He asked me.

"It does't start until 1:35." I informed him.