Chapter 8- Dodgeball and Bonding?

I sigh impatiently as I wait for the bell to ring, sitting in history class listening to the teacher drone on and on about a war that happened decades ago was not my idea of fun, especially since the teacher was speaking in a monotone. I mean he could at least try to make this a more interesting class. Courtney was currently doodling in her notebook while I continued to look at my watch in annoyance, has the battery died or something? I swear it said there was two minutes left to the bell, two minutes ago!

The bell finally rings and I jump up from my seat stuffing my books in my bag and dragging an amused Courtney out into the hallways.

"Slow down Amelia, jeez anyone would think that an evacuation was happening at the speed of which you’re walking" Courtney laughs, slowing down to close her bag's zip, since I hadn't given her enough time earlier.

"I swear the teacher could put anyone to sleep with his history spiel and monotone voice" I huff as we walk into the Gym changing rooms. We quickly put on our PE uniforms that consisted of black shorts and white shirt before we walked out to the gym.

We were met with the sight of Coach Dale standing in the middle of the gym with a mischievous smile on his face; he was almost thirty but I swear he still acted like a teenager. His black hair was hidden under a baseball cap and his hazel eyes were covered by a pair of sunglasses.

"Uh why is coach wearing sunglasses when we're inside?" I ask Courtney quietly, apparently not quietly enough since Coach Dale glances my way before answering.

"Well Amelia the coach is wearing sunglasses so he isn't blinded by the smiles the class will give him; when he tells them what they're doing today!" he chirps happily. The class gives him confused and suspicious looks as he removes his sunglasses.

"Dodge ball!" he shouts causing the class groaned in unison. "Well don't all cheer at once!" he says sarcastically rolling his eyes. The class continues to grumble as he split us into two teams.

On my team I had Jake, Courtney, Daniel, Cameron and Rebecca as well as some others. I look over at the other team I could easily spot Sasha and Lucas and a couple of jocks. The shrill sound of the whistle echoes in the gym and both teams start throwing their ammo. I dodge the throws aimed at me and fire some back at the jocks. I'm proud to say I got quite a few people out. Unfortunately Daniel and Cameron were both out and were now watching from the sidelines.

Keeping an eye on the opposing team I notice Sasha aim a hit at Rebecca and before I could warn her, she was keeling the ball had flown straight into her stomach. Anger rose within me as I watch Sasha give an innocent grin and apologise, her words as fake as her smile. Rebecca meanwhile was making her way towards the sidelines her posture stiff from pain.

The only ones left on the court now were Sasha and a jock on the opposing team and Jake and I. I pick up a ball ready to aim it at Sasha and hopefully knock her off her feet when Courtney yells behind me.

"Mia! Watch out!"  I turn around to see Sasha aiming a dodge ball right at my head. My eyes widen and I was about to duck when something heavy rammed into my side and I was sent flying to the ground.

"Oof!" the air escapes my lungs and when I land, I look up to see Jake lying on top of me. I try to push him off but just like last time my effort was in vain. Why do I find myself in these types of situations?

"Jake…can't…breathe!" I wheeze trying to get some oxygen in luckily he jumps up quickly and I take in some much needed deep breaths.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I shout in slight anger. Seriously, what made him decide to ram into me?

He raises his eyebrow "Me? I just saved you from a concussion!!! Don't I get a 'thanks Jake" he replies angrily.

"Thanks?! You nearly flattened me besides I'm not a damsel in distress; I was going to duck before you decided to tackle me to the ground!" I say stepping closer to him. He takes a step forward too before answering.