Chapter 21 - Confusion, Jealousy and Reese

The parking lot of Fairview High's football stadium was practically empty when I parked Chase's car into a parking space close to the stadium doors. It felt good to be driving again, even if it was only to a soccer game half an hour away from home. The weather was cloudy with no snow to be seen and I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed, of course I knew Los Angeles rarely got snowy days (if any) but having lived in New York my whole life I was used to snowy winters. So instead of the heavy coats and warm jumpers I would usually wear at this time of year I was dressed in blue jeans, a peach shirt and a white off-the shoulder cardigan.

The first soccer game of the season for the boys was between the WestOak and Fairview and it was being held here at Fairview High's football stadium. I buy a ticket at the entrance and walk past the corridor full of concession stands to the field, which was surrounded by rows of wooden bleachers. There were only a few spectators around watching the two teams warm up. I walk towards the bleachers right behind the WestOak team and take a seat closest to the field where the boys were doing various warm ups, dressed in a slightly loose white t-shirts and loose blue shorts. Facing me and instructing the teams was Jake, accompanied by Coach Dale.

His jet black hair was flying in the wind giving him a rugged, swoon-worthy look and his white shirt had a large number four on it. His muscles flexed, as he jogged on the spot with his arms behind his head. The team takes a break and heads to the water cooler and almost like he could sense me admiring him in all his athletic glory, Jake's head snaps up and his eyes lock with mine. A smirk graces his face and he jogs up to the railing separating the field from the stands.

"Enjoying the view Johnson?" He asks wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh yeah, that number three is really quite attractive" I tease him jerking my head towards the player in question before standing up and walking towards him.

He snorts and gives me an irritated look. "Hilarious. You know you might not want to be so obvious when you check me out next time" he leaned closer so that our faces were inches apart. His eyes scan over my face causing a light blush to rise on my cheeks.

"Ever heard of personal space Carter?" I ask him with raised eyebrows trying to act casual about the fact that he was so close to me.

"Must have missed that lesson in school" he shrugs his navy blue eyes glinting with mischief. I was about to respond when someone interrupts me.

"Jake Carter! Are you flirting with that lovely girl?!" a very feminine, very familiar voice scolds. I jump apart from Jake in surprise and turn my head to see Lily and Jeff standing there with a smile on their faces.

"Lily? Jeff? What are you doing here?" I ask bewildered ignoring the shocked look Jake sends me.

"We told you we would see you soon dear. Didn't expect to see you cozying up with our grandson though" Lily says giggling slightly and I blush furiously at her words before my slow brain finally catches up with what she said. Grandson...oh crap.....

"Hey Gran, Gramps" Jake greets them awkwardly "Now does anyone want to fill me in on how the three of you know each other?" he looks at me pointedly and I roll my eyes.

"We met when I was working at the diner, the day I skipped school" I shrug casually.

"And you didn't think to tell me?" he asks raising an eyebrow and threw me an irritated look.

"Sorry, I didn't realise I needed to tell you every time I spoke to someone new" the sarcasm and annoyance was clear in my tone "Besides I didn't even know you were their player of a grandson, though looking back it does make sense"

Jake looked like he was going to retort but was cut short when Coach Dale blew the whistle calling the team in for a pep talk.

"We'll talk later" he rushes out before jogging towards his team. I shake my head and walk towards the bleachers and take a seat, Lily and Jeff take a seat on my left.