Chapter 15- Screw My Hardened Heart!

Racing to the bathroom I try in vain to slow down my racing heart. Looking into the mirror I see my brown hair in a mess and my brown eyes glazing over with tears, not a second later the dam bursts, my cheeks now staining with tear tracks. I cradle my head in my hands, as sobs rack my body; I can't believe I yelled at my own brother like that. Especially since all he was trying to do was help me! Gosh I was such a bitch! 

Five minutes later and I had managed to rein the tears in, giving my face one last wash I head towards class.

I walk in to my algebra class roughly ten minutes late; ignoring the stares of my classmates I walk towards the teacher's desk where Mr Drew was marking some test papers.

"Sorry I'm late, Sir" I mutter quietly, though I might as well have shouted the sentence out seeing as the class had faded into an unnatural silence. They obviously wanted something to distract them from the notes written on the board.

"Its fine Amelia just make sure it doesn't happen again" Mr Drew replies, a kind smile on his face before he turns to the class. "Don't you lot have notes to be copying? It's not like you've never seen a student come late before, Mr Carter does it all the time. And if you have finished I can always write up some more" he threatens and abruptly the class turns back to copying down the notes though they continue throwing curious glances at me.

"Amelia, can I talk to you outside for a minute?" Mr Drew asks and I nod hesitantly. Please don't ask about my face (it was still blotchy from the tears, despite me washing it many times). Please don't ask about my face. Please don't-

"Amelia...are you okay?" Mr Drew asks concerned. I sigh inaudibly and brace myself for the questioning.

"I'm fine Sir" I smile though it was forced and I'm sure the teacher noticed as a frown forms on his face.

"Amelia I do have a wife. And I know from experience that when a woman says 'she's fine' she's anything but. What I'm trying to say is, is if you're getting bullied you can tell me, or any of your other teachers-"

"Mr Drew! Sorry to interrupt but I'm not getting bullied...It's nothing to worry about. Just a fight with my brother, which ...might've gotten a bit out of hand" I interrupt hurriedly. Mr Drew gives me a sceptical look but sighs and nods.

"Remember what I said, you can talk to one of us teachers if you need to" with that he opens the door to the classroom and indicates for me to walk in. I do so and regret it instantly. All thirty or so students were had looks of intense concentration on their faces as they stared at the door, see? This just shows how boring algebra can be; the students turn their attention to a door in the hopes of eavesdropping rather than doing their work. I picked the perfect class to be late to with tears down my face didn't I?

Blushing I make my way to the back of the class, trying to ignore the stares. I don't miss the hurt look on Daniel and Jake's face however when I walk past them, that itself makes a pang of guilt shoot through my hardened heart. Somehow it managed to get through my defences...how am I going to distance myself from them when such a simple act causes me pain?

I spent the whole class attentively copying notes not letting my gaze wander off to the two boys or the nosy classmates.

The bell rang for period two and the class jumped from their seats, shoving their books into their bags so they could race out of the class. I, however took my time. Placing my books in my bag I walked at my normal pace to the door, flashing a smile to Mr Drew before leaving. You know, so he doesn't think I need counselling or something.

The way you've been going...I would rethink that I honey. The snide voice in my head contributed.

Oh shut up.