Chapter 22 - Music And A Whole Lot Of Awkward

Pacing my room on Monday morning I couldn't help but wonder (for the tenth time in the past hour) how Jake had felt about the kiss. It was to be expected though, I mean what girl wouldn't be nervous after kissing one of her friends who just so happens to be in all her classes and who also happens to live next door? The idiot didn't even mention it afterwards, so now I have no idea if he liked it or he thought it was a big mistake or-

Okay shut up Amelia, there is no need to wind yourself up. Tidy up your hair and take a walk to get rid of these ridiculous thoughts!!

Huh, who knew I had such a bossy conscience? After brushing my hair back into a quick bun and swiping on some lip gloss I gather my things and head downstairs.

Seeing as it was only half past seven, no one was in the kitchen. Chase did everything last minute so he probably wouldn't be up for another fifteen minutes or so and my parents were probably still getting ready themselves. After leaving a note to tell everyone where I was going I grab a granola bar for breakfast and head out the front door, locking it behind me.

The sun was just peeking up above the horizon casting a light glow on my surroundings, there was a thin layer of dew on the grass and most of the trees still had their leaves attached to them, though some no longer had bright green leaves but a murky brown. There was a slight chill to the air as I walked down the street wearing a light blue, waist length coat and some black jeans. I was still getting used to the warmer weather here in LA not to mention how most of the trees remained green and/or didn't lose their leaves, that was pretty rare back in New York. Shoving my hands into my coat pocket I breathe in the fresh, morning air. I feel myself slowly relax and a smile forms on my face as I focus my thoughts on the beautiful scenery rather than the ridiculous thoughts I was thinking earlier. A few minutes later and I had reached the neighbourhood park which was currently empty, I could almost imagine a tumbleweed rolling across the deserted playground.

Walking past the gates I take a seat on one of the park benches and pulled out my iPod enjoying the few minutes I had before school, to listen to some of The Script's songs. I was half way through listening to Science & Faith when I heard the sound of someone jogging come from behind me. Turning around I was graced with the sight of Jake in a white wife beater and black shorts, with headphones in his ear and a curious smile on his face when he notices me sitting on the bench.

Panting slightly he takes a seat next to me, after leaning back against the park bench he closes his eyes and I use the time to gaze at his face like the idiot I am. A thin sheen of sweat was lining his forehead and his short eyelashes rested against his cheek. My attention darts to his lips, the pink, full lips that were on mine less than twenty four hours ago. Jake shifts slightly and I quickly remove my eyes from his face, a blush forming on my face as I realized that I was checking him out so obviously.

I stare at the empty swings in front of me, pretending as if they were there most interesting object on Earth. I was pulled away from my one-sided staring competition when a hand lightly grazed my cheek and my right ear phone was removed from my ear.

"What are you doing out here so early?" He asks, my mind was elsewhere though. Specificaly on the sudden shoortage of distance between us. I could've sworn he was sitting an arm's length away from me earlier yet now there was only centimetres between us.

"Wanted to go for a walk, I was heading to school when I decided to stop here" I answer shrugging slightly.

"Oh cool, can you wait for awhile I'll just shower really quickly and I can walk with you to school?" He asks staring at me with those navy blue eyes that seemed to pierce through me.

I check my time quickly to see that it was five past eight, Jake would have to practically run all the way home to make it back on time. "Um, you do realize we have like twenty minutes 'till school starts right?"