Chapter 30 - 'These Words'

The principal droned on, his words getting lost in the wind as families and friends sat on the bleachers. The sea of seniors dressed in black sat before us, their mortar boards (graduation hats) sat on top of their heads as they eagerly awaited their diplomas.

"I can't believe my little boy is all grown up now" my mum sniffed, next to me. I exchange a wary look with my dad who was sitting on her other side. If she was this emotional now I could only wonder how she'd be at the end of the ceremony. Chase is going to have a hard time escaping to his graduation party if mum remains this emotional. I let my dad comfort my Mum as I snapped a couple of pictures, the family camera hanging around my neck.

A couple of  minutes later and the valedictorian stood up to make her speech, which, thankfully was pretty short, yet awe-inspiring. The diplomas were handed out after that, with families cheering on their loved ones and the seniors hooting and cheering in support of their peers. Chase was up next and I was just positioning the camera right, so that I could get the perfect picture when I felt a presence sit next to me, the warmth radiating off their body.

"On our graduation day, we should dress up as squirrels and dance the harlem shake" his warm breath hits my ear and for a second I'm momentarily distracted by the shivers running down my spine to actually understand what he said.

"You're mad. Who wants to dress up as the school mascot on their graduation?" I laugh, once the words sink in. "And for the record, you're late"

"Sorry, got stuck in traffic" he apologizes, lucky that I saved his seat then.

I quickly snap a picture of Chase as he gets up on stage, waving quickly to mum and dad who were currently standing up and cheering. Jeez, anyone would think that they never expected him to graduate...

Now, that my job as photographer was temporarily over I was free to hold Jake's hand, his long, tanned fingers tangling with mine. Even though we'd done this a countless number of times now it still sent tingles down my spine. Causing a smile to form on my face.

 Once the graduation ceremony was over, the four of us head over to the far end of the field where we would meet Chase after he finished saying goodbye to his friends. While we wait, I snap a couple of pictures of my parents and of course more than a couple of Jake. Half the time he didn't even realize I was taking them since he was too busy talking with my dad about some game. My mother noticed what I was doing and sent me a discreet wink which immediately caused a blush to take over my cheeks. Thankfully Chase arrived then, walking hand in hand and I snap a couple of pictures of the two.

"Enough photos Mia. I think you've taken enough to fill an entire scrapbook" Chase jokes, I roll my eyes punching his shoulder lightly.

"You'll thank me later, when you're all balding and wanting to remember what you looked like with a full head of hair" I tease, Hailey lets out a light laugh and pulls me into a hug.

"Oh, I'm going to miss you when I go to college" she sighs and I hug her tighter. The two of us had gotten pretty close over the last couple of months. She was like the older sister I never had-though I wouldn't trade Chase for anything. Annoying as he can be.

"I'm going to miss you guys too, you better email and call whenever possible" I threaten her and Chase, the two roll their eyes but promise anyway. They were both leaving at the end of the summer to New York, where they would attend their individual colleges, and stay in the dorms provided. They were lucky enough to be attending colleges in the same city, the likelihood for them was very small but I guess all that wishing paid off.

"Alright! We have a graduation party to head to, so I'll see you guys later" Chase says quickly escaping my Mum's bear hug as he pulls Hailey behind him, running to his car. Jake and I laugh before saying goodbye to my parents. We had made plans to meet up with everyone else and start making our summer plans.