Chapter 24 - Like You Never Existed

Don't hate me...please

****************************************************

I should have known it was too good to be true. Who was I kidding? I knew it was unlikely that Jake had feelings for me yet I go ahead and let myself hope... I sure am paying for it now. I knew Jake was a player so it shouldn't have surprised me when I got to school Tuesday morning to find Jake acting as if the kiss never happened - as if I didn't exist. The way he acted in algebra should have tipped me off but I was stupid enough to believe he was just in a bad mood; well... lesson learned.

Flashback- First Period

I walk into Algebra expecting to see Jake and Daniel arguing or talking as usual only to find Jake's seat vacant and Daniel looking extremely bored.

"Hey Dan, no Jake today?" I ask trying not to look too interested, I think the fact that I now know I like Jake has made me a tad paranoid. Can anyone else tell? Am I being too obvious?

Uh hello idiot? You kissed him then spent the time on his lap snuggling into him? Can you get more obvious?

"He's probably running late. By the way did you check your phone? I've been trying to call you all of yesterday" He asks looking slightly annoyed and I give him a sheepish smile.

"The battery was dead and by the time it was charged it was like nine o'clock"

"Idiot" he mutters and I gasp in outrage but he carries on talking before I can say anything. "Anyway thanks for the advice-about Lily. I asked her on a date and she said yes!" A beam made it;s way to Daniel's face and I couldn't help but share his enthusiasm.

"See! I told you! Ah, I'm so happy for you!" I tell him reaching over to pull him into a hug.

"Thank you but I would've asked her eventually you know-without your help" he tells me trying to play the manly man part.

"Uh huh sure you were" I reply unconvinced. Daniel doesn't get a chance to answer however  because Mr Drew walks in and starts the class. I glance at the seat next to me in worry, Jake is never this late. We were twenty minutes into the lesson when Jake showed up, dressed in jeans and a shirt, nothing out of the ordinary.

"Sorry I'm late sir, car trouble" he apologizes quickly moving to take his seat.

"Did this particular car wear red lipstick Mr Carter?" Mr Drew asks with a raised eyebrow trying to conceal a smirk. Jake blushes slightly while the rest of the class start snickering the boys whistling at Jake's 'achievement'. I, however was frozen in my seat, stiff with shock and disbelief. "Detention after school Jake"

Jake nods and continues walking to the back of the class, away from his vacant seat and away from me. Not that I care, right now I was still trying to wrap my thoughts around everything and I wasn't exactly succeeding.

"What's up with him? I thought he was over his player ways?" Daniel asks me and I turn to him confused. "He hasn't seen a girl for a few weeks now...maybe he was too busy" he explains, the last bit was more like him talking to himself though.

"Yeah me too" I whisper referring to Daniel's earlier statement but quietly enough so that Daniel doesn't hear. When the bell rings to signal period two Jake's the first one out the door and I'm not that far behind him. I want answers and damnit I was going to get them!! I tried calling his name as he weaved in and out of students that were flooding the hallway but he either couldn't hear me or he was ignoring me and as much as it hurts to say it I have a feeling it was the latter.