Chapter 23 - Just A Kiss Goodnight

On the walk home Jake and I went through the list of possible songs we could both perform and since Jake wanted to play that guitar as well our choices were limited. In the end though we decided on Lady Antebeluum's 'Just a kiss goodnight'. We had planned to start practice straight after school, but that plan got thrown out the window when the girls decided we needed an emergency catch up session- no boys allowed. So while Jake went home to practice the chords and print out the lyrics I walked further down the street until I reached the diner where I first met Courtney.

It didn't take too long to locate the girls with Danielle's red hair standing out in the crowd.

"So what's the reason behind this emergency meeting?"I ask as I take a seat in the booth next to Bridget and Rebecca, opposite Bridget, Danielle and Courtney.

"Well it seems you and Courtney have some explaining to do" Rebecca gives the two of us a pointed glare and and we squirm uncomfortably. Oh boy, here comes the interrogation squad. How do you even explain something when you have no idea what it means yourself?

"You first!" Courtney and I exclaim simultaneously.

"How about we decide through a coin toss instead? Coutney can be tails and Amelia heads, whoever it lands on goes first" Danielle offers pulling out a coin. She flips the coin and we wait with baited breath. Tails. Courtney lets out a groan while I breathe a relieved sigh.

"Cough up Scott" Bridget says with an excited smile.

"Yeah, come on. Lucas and you have been stealing kisses all day. We deserve an explanation" Rebecca states leaning closer, eager to hear her explanation and she wasn't the only one. I've been waiting for the two to get together for awhile now and I wanted to know how it happened. Took Lucas long enough. I mentally snort.

"How about we order some food first?" Courtney suggests and we all roll her eyes at her blatant stalling method. After we all ordered and the drinks had been served Courtney begins her explanation.

"Well you guys might not have noticed but I kind of had a crush on Lucas" this one sentence had all of us snorting in disbelief.

"Please, as if anyone could miss the obvious chemistry between the two of you" Bridget interrupts.

"Not to mention the constant flirting at lunchtime" Rebecca adds. 

"Or at the soccer game" I add my own two cents in.

"And it was pretty obvious that Lucas felt the same since he pretty much gave glares to any guy hitting on you" Danielle states with a wave of her hand.

"You know I never noticed that before but you're right! I remember that one time-" Rebecca starts off but before she can carry on Courtney cuts her off.

"If you lot keep on interrupting, I'm going to leave and you all can figure out for yourselves what happened!" Courtney huffs, crossing her arms over her chest an annoyed look on her face. The scowl on her face and the obvious annoyance she was feeling was clear but the threat was pretty much harmless when we saw the bright red blush painted on her cheeks. Oh my gosh! Courtney was embarrassed! And despite knowing her for a couple of months I had yet to see her embarrassed.

At this we all quickly shut our mouths and she shoots us a triumphant smile. No matter how funny it was to tease her we all would rather hear the story from the horse's mouth.

"So anyway after the soccer game he took me out to the park for a walk...and I don't know we just got talking. Then he finally admitted his feelings and asked me out...and I said yes. End of story" she shrugs at the end and our shoulders slumped. Wow...how detailed. Not. That was quite anticlimatic.