Twenty Seven

"behind every beautiful thing, there's some pain

"behind every beautiful thing, there's some pain."
---

The party was being held in Grayson's mom's backyard.

It's a princess-themed party.

I decided to dress in a white dress with small roses on it because it's simple but also on theme.

Grayson's mom let me in, and we chatted for a little bit before she showed me to the backyard where I saw a bunch of little girls wear princess dresses and then decorations everywhere.

My eyes go to Grayson who was wearing black shorts and a black shirt. I could see some of the tattoos on his biceps that were visible.

He is definitely not on theme, but he still manages to look good.

We haven't talked much since the day I went over to his house. When I woke up the next morning his arms were around me and I felt his breathing hit my neck. I didn't want to leave his embrace; it was like I was in that cloud again, but I was being surrounded by butterflies.

Which is convenient because of what I got the other day.

I feel like after every time we spend a minute together, I am falling deeper and deeper even though I don't want to.

"Go on now." Grayson's mom said. Her name is Lucy, I discovered. "I know out of everyone in this house he wants to see you."

I blush and smile at her before walking towards Melody who was talking to her friends.

I walk up to Melody, and she smiles when she looks up at me and sees me. "Willow!" She hugs my legs, but I kneel so that I could hug her properly.

"Hello princess," I murmured in her ear, and she lets go of my and I tuck a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. It's one of the features I love most about her because it's a unique bright shade of blonde, much more different than Grayson's dark brown hair. But at least she has his eyes. "I got you something." I lift the small bag in my hand and show it to her.

Melody's smile widens and she grabs the bag. "Can I open it?"

"It's your choice. It's your birthday."

Melody takes the tissue paper out of the bag and she takes out the vintage, princess music box.

She looks up at me and a smile is still on her face. "I love it Willow. It's so pretty."

"Twist the key." I point to the key poking out of the box and she twists it, and it starts playing music.

"Thank you!" Melody wraps her tiny arms around me again and she kisses me on the cheek while thanking me repeatedly. "I love it so much."

"I'm happy you like it, Melody." I let go of Melody and wish her a happy birthday before turning around, leaving her with her friends. When I turn around, I see Grayson across the backyard staring at me. I walk towards him while trying not to smile or blush. I also try to ignore the butterflies in my stomach and the goosebumps spreading on my skin, making me do a small shiver. "Hey," I said when I was in front of him.

His eyes trail down my body and they linger on my legs a little longer before they travel up and his eyes meet mine.

"You look nice." I feel Grayson's finger on my thigh as he touches the hem of my dress. "I like this dress."

The butterflies are going crazy again. "Thank you."

"I saw what you gave Melody. Thank you for that."

"It's nothing. The music box use to be mine when I was her age, so I just wanted her to have it."

"It's not nothing. She was super happy when you gave it to her."

I smile at him, and I feel like he just leaned in closer to me. "As long as she liked it then that's all that matters."

The next thing I know, Grayson's lips are on mine.

The kiss is only about five seconds long but, in those seconds, my whole world shakes and I melt.

Literally, melt.

My eyes close and I enjoy his lips on mine before they were gone, and I heard Ethan's voice making me open my eyes.

Grayson is staring at me as Ethan walks up to us. "Hey, guys."

"Hey," Grayson says, without looking at Ethan.

"How is the party going? Sorry I couldn't get here earlier. I was busy with some shit, but I am dressed on theme." Ethan said making me furrow my eyebrows and look at him instead of maintaining eye contact with Grayson.

Ethan is wearing a pink dress with a tiara on his head.

Before I could say something, someone gets to it before me.

"What the fuck are you wearing?" I heard Kayden ask as he walked up to us.

"A dress." Ethan said in a 'duh' tone. "Melody said that she wanted me to wear a princess dress for her birthday, so I made her wish come true."

As I am looking at Ethan I feel Grayson's eyes still on me, they are burning into my skin making me want to crumble on my knees for him.

My eyes go to him, and he is in fact staring at me. I look back at Ethan and Kayden who were arguing.

"You look like a fucking idiot." Kayden bluntly stated.

"Well look at you, Mr. Depressed wearing all black."

I look at Kayden's attire and he is wearing his signature black leather jacket, which looks a little old, a black shirt under, black pants with a chain hanging.

"At least I don't look stupid." Kayden looked around the backyard. "A lot of people showed up Gray." He said to Grayson, and I look at Grayson and see him staring at me for a few more seconds before turning his head to look at Kayden.

"Yea. Melody has a lot of friends."

"Did Olivia call?" Kayden asked and I furrow my eyebrows.

Who the hell is Olivia?

I see Grayson's jaw clench. "No, and even if she did then I would never let her get near Melody. You should know this."

I raise my eyebrow at Grayson when his eyes go to me.

He ignores my look and then walks away from the group, not saying another word.