~Chapter 40~

I placed my head on the crooked window panel watching the dust from the roads rise up in the cars tracks.The two cars stopped and indistinct chatter echoed around. I hopped out with Aris behind me slamming the door looking up from moving the strands of hair flying over my face. Tents,people, tiny mountain ranges and trees were scattered around. "They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us." Harriet said walking down some dusty and rocky ramps."You guys are lucky you found us when you did, we're moving out at first light." Sonya said smiling up at us."Where's Vince?" Sonya asked a man."Somewhere over there I think." He pointed. We carried on walking as the man left."Who's Vince?" Thomas asked the girls."He's the one that decides if you get to stay." Harriet said as I sighed."Well there's a surprise we come all this way from Janson and now we need to be accepted by a man. How petty." I mumbled."I thought the right arm was supposed to be a army." Minho stated as we heard a voice to our left."Yeah we were." The man said."This is all that's left of us." The man said with dirty blonde hair."Lots of good people died getting us this far." He went on putting his hands on his waist looking at us."Who are they." Vince nodded to us looking at Harriet and Sonya."Well if you weren't so talkive you would of knew by now." I spoke up looking at him weirdly that he spoke for so long."There immunes." Harriet said shaking her head at me then back at Vince. "Caught em coming up the mountain.""Did you check em." "I know this guy Aris, I trust him." Harriet pointed at Aris as I smirked at him."Well I don't check em." Vince said.I spotted Brenda was breathing heavily."Hey... boss." The man next to Brenda said. Brenda gasped loudly and fell to the floor."BREND."I yelled running next to her kneeling down."BRENDA. BRENDA." Jorge yelled on the other side of her."Brend come on. Jorge what's happening to her." I said in verge of tears looking at her body rising quickly. Jorge got Brenda in his arms. "Brenda, talk to me." He said holding her close."I'm sorry.I'm sorry." She said quietly."Jorge what happened." I said shocked looking at them both as he looked at me."What's going on with her." Vince said kneeling down holding Jorges shoulder."I don't know. Brenda you alright?" Jorge asked her."Well obviously not Jorge." I said panicked."What the hell." Vince whispered. He took down a piece of cotton on her leg that revealed her bite."Oh, shit." Vince mumbled getting up grabbing his gun."Crank,we've got a crank." Vince said holding a gun up to her."No." Jorge yelled."No don't you fucking dare shoot her." I said getting in front of his gun."Step back." He said."LISTEN." I yelled at him making him quiet."This just happened she's not dangerous yet." I said calmly."Well you shouldn't of brought her here." He said to me."I know." I said looking down."We let cranks in here the safe haven wouldn't last a week." He said to me."Listen,I told her you could help now please." Thomas said holding his shoulder. I looked at Jorge and back at Brenda letting a tear drop down my face."There's gotta be something you can do." I said looking at him."Yeah, there is.." He said cocking his gun."I can put her out of her misery." He said."You do that then I'll kill you." I spat."Vince, that's enough let him go" a woman yelled coming out of a tent."Let him go." She yelled again making the men get off Jorge as I ran to him getting in his grip."She's infected doc." He said."There's nothing we can do for her." He added. Mary smiled at me and Thomas.

"No,but he can."

~

~WORD COUNT:687~