Chapter 35

"However, I have no files that prove you gained any legal rights to your blood.  Therefore, unless anyone here can state otherwise, you are still a farmer with no right to demand anything regarding a divorce," the king stated.

Varian could feel his hope draining quickly.

"I object, your majesty."

The room burst into whispers and murmurs and Varian turned his head to see the speaker.  An old man walked up the isle and bowed.  "Your majesty," he continued.

"Sir Talon," the king spoke with a tone of interest.  "Please continue."

"This Varian, you claim has no rights to ask for a divorce.  He is of my blood.  There is no doubt about that.  However, he's not just my blood, Your Grace, he is my successor."

The room broke out into more murmers.  Varian turned to look at Mazouwi, whose face had turned pale and he appeared to be growing nervous.  If being claimed by blood of Sir Talon gave Varian a fair chance, then what did being his successor mean?

"You see," Sir Talon began.  "I was only blessed with two children, for my wife died an early age.  I could never bring myself to marry again or have another lover.  My daughter has denied all her rights to being my successor.  My son died before he married or had a child of his own.  Therefore, Varian, my grandson, is my only blood left to be my successor."  The man turned to Varian and set a paper in front of him.  "The moment you sign this child, you will out rank that devil."  He pointed to Mazouwi.

Varian's eyes widened.  Just because Mazouwi was the second most powerful person in the country didn't make him the second highest rank. 

"That man legally never had the right to so much as raise his voice against you," Sir Talon said.

Varian took the quill and ink and signed the paper.  There was a deathly silence in the room and all that could be heard was the scratching of the pen on the paper.

"Then it's settled," the king said.  "Your divorce is yours to claim."  Two men came in and set papers in front of them.  "Sign them," the king instructed, "and the divorce shall be official.  This court is closed."

Mazouwi sat there for a moment.  He didn't even try to argue his case.   It was true then.  Varian was now over him and the man could not fight against his word any longer.  He was free from the lord.  Once the papers were signed, he was free to do what he pleased and become a citizen of Corona.  However, was it necessary to become a Citizen of Corona?  It was a much better place there, but what was he supposed to do with his new found title?

He signed the divorce papers as the people slowly left the court room, mumbling about what had just taken place.  When he finished, he stood up and walked up to the man who was his grandfather.  "Sir Talon-er... grandfather?"

"Grandfather is fine, young man," he replied coolly.

"I see..."  Varian stuck out his hand.  "I'm glad to finally meet you sir.  Thank you so much for everything."

He chuckled.  "The moment I heard, I came.  No son of my daughter was going to be overtaken by the likes of that bastard!  He tried to gain Ulla's hand, but I bet you knew that.  I'm not sure how you ended up with him, but I'm sure that's a story in itself.  What's important is that he is no longer a part of your life now."

Varian grinned.  "Please, I wish to know more about you.  I had assumed you were dead until not long ago when my father explained my origins to me."

"Come, I'll take you to my manor where you can stay as long as you wish.  We have much to discuss."

"Do you mind if I send a few letters-oh..."  Varian's face flushed as he realized.  Perhaps he was not as free from Mazouwi as he had thought.

"You are free to do as you please, Varian.  You don't have to ask anyone of anything."

"I suppose that's something I'm going to have to get used to."