Chapter 3

Hugo was so ready to go to bed, but first, he had to drop off Varian's uniform for the next morning before he could.  He found the door and knocked on it.  It opened.

"Oh, it's you."  Varian beamed and pulled his goggles up in a way that made his hair get flipped up and slicked over his head.

"I was sent to give you these."  Hugo handed him the clothes.

"Oh, thanks."  He took the outfit and set it on the chair beside the door.  "Said it was your first day, right?"

"Yes..."

"How was it?"

"Besides exhausting?  Ok.  I mean, they call it work for a reason."

Varian giggled.  "True."

"Soooo... uh...." Hugo scratched the back of his neck.  "I probably should get going..."

"Oh!  Right.  Sorry..."

Hugo turned to leave but stopped at Varian's voice.

"Hugo..."

"Hmm?"

"Just... stay away from him.  Then I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you do that."  With that, the alchemist closed his door, only to leave the blonde in utter confusion.

"Ok... well... thank you?"  Hugo shrugged and walked away.

Varian leaned his back against the door and blew out a breath that caused some stray hairs to fly out of his face.  He sat down at the desk and dipped his pen in the ink.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm not sure if Mazouwi is keeping them from me or if you just haven't had the time to write lately, but I haven't heard from you in a while.  I know I promised to write weekly, but it has been the same thing day after day.  There's never really anything to talk about.

The only change this week is that there's a new worker.  His name is Hugo.  He seems nice and honest.  Not like the one before him that stole the watch you gave me, but we'll have to see.

I have three more months.  Then I can come home.  I'm so excited I can barely contain it.  It feels like it has been ages since I've last seen you.  Although, it has been almost two years, hasn't it.

I'm doing ok.  The food's the same, but not like Mom's apple pie, or Dad's blueberry pancakes.  I'll see you at the end of three months.  Sorry this is so short.  I love you. ♡

Your loving son,
Varian

Varian sighed as he blew on the ink to make sure it was dry.   He folded it and put it in the envelope.  Then he wrote the address and put a stamp on the letter.  Getting up, he flicked off the light, knowing he'd send the letter first chance if Mazouwi allowed him to go to town.  Hopefully on his own this time.  Sometimes the man insisted that he came along as well, which was dreadfully annoying.

Laying in the bed, he stared at the ceiling.  Had he truly waisted two years of his life stuck in Mazouwi's manor?  No, they weren't wasted.  He gave them for a good cause and soon he'd be free to enjoy the aftermath.  The reason he agreed.

Then maybe he could find true love.  Have a chance to settle down.  Or maybe he didn't even want love.  Perhaps he'd just be happy with his Mom and Dad again and he could help on the farm.  Yes, that felt right.  That's all he ever wanted, all he dreamed of.  Returning to the life that he had long left behind.