Chapter 2

Varian briskly walked into the room and shut the door. He tried to hide the fact that he was out of breath, but failed miserably. "Sorry, I'm a little late. I tripped and the papers went flying and scattered..."

Mazouwi looked up and had that look on his face that made Varian's heart drop. He stumbled over his words until he gave up altogether while trying to explain. Setting the papers on the man's desk, Varian averted his gaze to the ground to his right as his face flushed a bright red.

Suddenly, he felt a hand gently pull his chin up so he was forced to look in the lord's eyes. The man smirked. "How can one be so graceful, yet so clumsy?"

"I... uh... I don't know," Varian admitted. He shifted uncomfortably as the man stroked his cheek with his thumb.

Varian gently moved his head away and occupied himself by fixing the order or the page numbers. His heart was pounding in his chest and not in the good way. He wanted desperately to get away, but it was wishful thinking.

"Are you hiding something from me?"

"No, sir..." Varian made sure to keep his voice level. He was proud he managed to do so, but he supposed he had practice by now. "Why?"

"You're acting strange today."

"I am?" Varian looked up innocently and made sure his face appeared innocent. It worked every time. He was getting really good at acting.

"Yes. You are, blue bird."

The teen held back the cringe from the nickname. His mom used to call him that when he was little. Now Mazouwi stole it to use a pet name. "Oh. I must have my mind elsewhere. You know what I'm like when I have those big ideas in my head."

The man chuckled as he stood up and walked around the table. "How can I forget?"

Varian could feel the man press the front of his body into the back of his. Mazouwi's breath ran down the back of his neck and shirt. The teen continued to straighten the papers, only pausing for a second. Shouldn't he be getting used to this yet? No. No one could get used to this, nor should they.

He pasted on a bright smile and turned to the man. Doing his best not to lean away too much so he didn't make the lord see that he just wanted away. Gripping the edge of the desk, Varian leaned his bodyweight against it, still letting his face be painted with a fake smile.

"You always remember the little things."

The lord smirked as he cupped the boy's cheek again, stroking the corner or Varian's mouth with his thumb. He leaned in closer and kissed him. Varian just stood there. He learned long ago that the man never noticed if he kissed back or not. Or if he did, never vocalized any complaints.

He could feel Mazouwi's gloved hand move to clutch the back of his head to press him closer, which Varian was not pleased of. Yet he didn't fight it. The other hand moved to 'teasingly' play with Varian's belt, which made his heart lurch to his throat. He wasn't expecting to have to focus down there as well.