Chapter 4

Hugo was carrying a basket of laundry by Mazouwi's office door when he heard the sound of a slap and a muffled yelp. He paused in surprise, his mind not even registering the muffled yelling. He only snapped out of it when the door handle began to turn and Hugo quickly walked backwards to get out of the way.

Varian stuttered over an apology before closing the door and briskly walking away with his head down. Hugo could see that he was trying to hide the fact that he was crying, but it was too late. To say Hugo was shocked would be an understatement, but he quickly went his own way to finish his work. But the scene never left his mind.

The Alchemist locked himself in his room and curled up on his bed. He gnawed on his finger, trying to focus his brain on anything but the pain he was already feeling. It was a habit he started after the first few months of being there.

A few hours later, there was a knock on the door. Expecting it to be Mazouwi, he opened the door without looking at himself in the mirror. To his surprise, it was Hugo. He quickly brushed his fingers through his bangs to make sure it hid the new bruise on his forehead.

"Sorry, do you need something?"

Hugo could see Varian's eyes were still red and puffy from crying. "I uh... heard a lot of yelling earlier and wanted to make sure you were ok. I know I'm overstepping my boundaries, but it kinda sounded like he hit you..."

He watched Varian fix his bangs again to make sure the bruise was truly hidden, but it was too late. He had already seen it for the first time. The boy merely smiled, however, Hugo noticed it was fake right away.

"Oh, we argued from time to time... I'm not sure what you heard the first time."

"It really sounded like it," Hugo pressed.

Varian shrugged. "Must have been the wind..." he went to close his door, but Hugo stopped him.

"I was also told to give you this."

Varian had the right half of his body hidden and he cautiously reached out and grabbed the bottle of wine in Hugo's hands. Hugo hated himself for thinking it, Varian looked so cute being shy. Yet, it also made his heart twist knowing why he was shy, or so frightened.

"Thanks," Varian whispered meekly and closed the door.

Hugo stood there for a moment, wishfully looking at the door. He set his hand on it for a moment, not knowing Varian had his hand on the door as well on the other side. The blonde wished he could reach in there and help him, and Varian wished he could reach out for help. He swallowed and pushed back his tears and Hugo sighed before leaving.

Varian popped off the wine lid. He knew exactly why it was sent to him and he was going to accept it. He was going to need to be drunk for what was going to happen that night. His father would never approve, but it wasn't the first time he'd be getting drunk. His parents would have to forgive him for mental health and physical health needs.

Half an hour later, the door was knocked on again, and, this time, it was Mazouwi. The eighteen year old opened the door and closed it behind him.

"I want to apologize for acting out earlier, but if you simply obeyed, these things wouldn't happen," the man began. Varian didn't say anything. He noticed that the lord was starting to remove clothing, so Varian took another large swig of the wine.