Chapter 20

Varian woke up to find that Hugo had his arms wrapped around his body as if he was cuddling him like a teddy bear.  It was warm and comforting.  He found a calming peace to it and snuggled deeper in the blonde's arms in spite of feeling his breath going down the neck of his shirt.  Unfortunately, the movement made Hugo stir and he woke up as well.

"Morning..." he whispered.

Varian rolled over so he could look at Hugo.  "Morning..."

"What time is it?"

"Probably ten."

"At night?"

"The next morning.  Judging by the sun.  It's clearly daylight, you doofus," he laughed.

Hugo rolled over to face away from him.  "I barely have my eyes open and you know I can barely see without my glasses when I'm wide awake."

"Sorry, did I hurt you feelings, Mr. Pouty Face?"  Varian teased.

"Shut up!" Hugo hissed and hit Varian with a pillow, making the latter laugh harder and fall off the bed.

"Well, that's our cue to get up."

"I was happy cuddling," Hugo mumbled.

"Hmm?" Varian looked at him, not hearing what he said.

"I said fine."

They got dressed (Varian behind the dressing wall and Hugo dressed on the other side with their backs turned to each other).

"What's next?"  Hugo asked as they walked down the hall.

"Find Rapunzel and say goodbye so that we can go find my parents.  Is that ok?"

"Of course!  I mean, I have to meet them sometime." Hugo winked, making Varian blushed.

"Oh god, I hate you-"

"I love you too." He leaned forward to kiss Varian on the cheek but Varian teasingly pushed him away.

"Nuh-uh.  Not with that morning breath, four eyes."

"You wound me," Hugo proclaimed dramatically as he set his hand in his chest.

Varian laughed as he grabbed the handle to the double doors to the throne room.  "Ok, ok, one a serious note.  This is serious-"  he suddenly froze when he opened the door.

There, right in the middle of the throne room, Rapunzel was standing and talking to two people.  Immediately, Varian recognized them and his eyes were already watering and his lips trembled.

"Goggles?  What's wrong?"  Hugo opened the door more so he could get a look.

His voice caused the three to turn in their direction.  The two strangers froze, but the woman was the first to move.  "Varian?"

The boy's tears spilled over.  "Mom!"  He threw his arms around her when she ran up to him.

"Varian!  Oh, thank goodness!  I've worried about you all these years.  Thank you so much for what you did for me.  As your mother, I'm suppose to make the sacrifices for you, so please don't don't sell yourself again..."

"I promise," Varian choked on his words.  He looked up and smiled when he saw his father's face.  "Dad!"

Quirin didn't even bother trying to hide his own tears.  He pulled his son into a hug.  "You're so much taller," he whispered making Varian chuckle.  "And broader..."  he then held him out at arm's length and Varian used the palm of his hand to dry the tears running down his cheeks.

"Yeah, I have..."  Varian then pulled Hugo over.  "Mom.  Dad.  This is Hugo.  He helped me get out of there."

"Thank you.  We will forever be grateful to you," Ulla said as she shook his hand.

"I only did what he would do ma'am," Hugo said.

"I know there's a lot to talk about, but I think you need to know that we're together..." Varian said.

Ulla and Quirin looked at each other.  The woman smiled and looked back at Hugo. "You care about him a lot, don't you?"

"How can I not?  He has a heart that's too kind for his own good," Hugo replied.

"Then... all we ask is that you treat it well," Quirin said.

"You've already proven that you'd go great lengths for him.  Thank you."  Ulla surprised Hugo by giving him a hug.  He looked over her shoulder at Varian who was beaming like a sun.  Hugo blushed and smiled.